Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 17, 2010, 09:23 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default SSD Performance vs. Space Left

Hey all:

I was wondering if there are any benchmarks of SSD performance degradation as more of the drive becomes occupied. I couldn't find any good ones. As a rule of thumb, what percentage of the drive capacity should be left empty to ensure optimal performance? I have an Intel X25-M G2 80GB SSD, and I have about 20GB free space left after installing some stuff last week. Any tips would be appreciated, thanks!
Old October 18, 2010, 09:40 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Filling the drive should not affect read speed at all. Write speed however could vary depending of the trim status of your drive. If your drive is completely trimmed, I guess you could fill it completely without seeing any degradation in write speed. However, just to be sure, I always leave about 10 GB free on my SSD.

I had only about 5 GB free on my drive and I got the feeling it was getting slower every day so I changed my Vertex 60 GB to a Vertex 2 120 GB last week and now it's faster then ever

Tags
degradation , free space , performance , speed , ssd