Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 8, 2010, 02:01 PM
Allstar

can you use the garbage collection ?
Old October 8, 2010, 02:22 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

yes. It still uses its built in self maintenance routines. The problem is...SF drives have one of the worst set of "ITGC" routines in the industry. During testing for a my reviews they give me the MOST problems. I literally haven't had as much hassle keeping a drive in top performance for a review like I do with SF drives since the original Jmicron days! I've gotten to the point where I bring out my old bag of tricks and use a "Tony Trim" on them.

This is why I don't recommend SF drives for non Trim environments. And by their very nature the Revo is a NON-TRIM environment drive regardless of the OS. I have heard rumours that OCZ might be working on custom firmware to pass the TRIM command along to the controllers and I've also heard rumours they are working on a manual trim (think wiper.exe for indilinx drives) for them as well. No idea. No information and OCZ isnt talking. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 8, 2010, 04:13 PM
Allstar

I will forget this Revo for now, is there advantage to use the G.Skill Phoenix PRO over the Corsair ?
Old October 8, 2010, 05:04 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The Corsair has crippled firmware. Check out our reviews on the Corsair Vs the Vertex 2 (there isnt much dif between the 100 and 120 speed wise). The dif is not huge for most situations...but expect the Corsair to be 1-2 seconds slower than the Pro in loading big programs likes Adobe CS.

YMMV but why go with a crippled version IF the dif in price isnt that big (and fits into your budget).

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 8, 2010, 05:17 PM
Allstar

thanks, do you have a link to this review ?
Old October 8, 2010, 07:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just in case you are still looking and are still considering the 40GB, Memory Express has it on sale for $80 (after $20 mail in rebate)

Corsair Force Series Solid State Drive, 40GB at Memory Express Computers

Or they have the 60GB for $140

Corsair Force Series Solid State Drive, 60GB at Memory Express Computers

Old October 8, 2010, 08:30 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Just in case you are still looking and are still considering the 40GB, Memory Express has it on sale for $80 (after $20 mail in rebate)

Corsair Force Series Solid State Drive, 40GB at Memory Express Computers
WO, that is a damn good price.
Old October 8, 2010, 11:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Oh I forgot to add that they also are having a special free shipping within Canada. As long as it is worth $39 or more and weights less than 50 pounds.

Old October 10, 2010, 09:06 AM
Allstar

I finally order the G.skill and the Corsair, I will install the Corsair in the mini-itx build and the G.skill in my gaming PC for replace the Intel, this one will go in my laptop, thanks everyone for the help