Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 7, 2010, 12:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'll never go back to mechanical as an OS/application drive just for the desktop performance of SSD alone.
Old October 7, 2010, 12:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's pretty great.. I'm currently copying 750gb from one drive to another and just breezing around on my ssd!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 7, 2010, 12:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
I'll never go back to mechanical as an OS/application drive just for the desktop performance of SSD alone.
Yeah it is just painful going back to one of my hdd systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old October 7, 2010, 04:19 PM
MVP

I hear you...I've got to "work" with mech HDD stations at the college...waiting 5-15 seconds for something I do in inventor/revit/etc to actually apply is killing me!
Old October 7, 2010, 04:47 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Last time I checked all internet browsers cache a crap load of data to their temp file. I always recommend moving it to a HDD. Just a waste of write cycles.

Would love to know Chrome does things differently, but TBH, I doubt it.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 7, 2010, 04:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Last time I checked all internet browsers cache a crap load of data to their temp file. I always recommend moving it to a HDD. Just a waste of write cycles.

Well the feature was not included in the first few versions of Chrome - the devs have mentioned that it will be in one of the next versions. For now you just have to copy a short string into the icon for chrome that changes the directory for caching. It's easy enough but not ideal since it took me some searching to figure out.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 7, 2010, 05:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post

Meh, as long as you're on 7 or you're diligent enough to keep up with the housework in Vista and XP, most SSD's should last anyone long enough before they've moved onto the next thing.
Old October 7, 2010, 05:28 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Maybe...maybe not. Just because you buy the next great thing in 2 yrs time doesnt mean you will just throw your "old and slow" ssd in the garbage. They add life to older systems.
So why waste cell life if you don't have to?

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr