Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 6, 2010, 11:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default Not an SSD question! The good old Black vs .12 debate

so I'm looking at purchasing a slightly on the cheaper side, 500GB-1TB hard drive for active duty (i.e, not storage)

a 1TB black is currently $90 (on sale even @.@), a 1TB .12 is currently $63 - why would I purchase a black when I can get the .12 for $27 cheaper? 2 extra years of warranty doesn't quite cut it for me.

Not being too up to date since the whole .11 fiasco, I'm wondering if I can grab some thoughts? links? preferably backed up claims? (as I'm sure the 64 vs 32 MB cache issue will arise.)

TYVM!
-Lark
Old October 7, 2010, 05:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Honestly, performance wise - if you're not going to get a WD Black - the next best performing drive are Samsung F3, specifically the 64mb versions. In a some cases they are out performing them.

I am not a fan of Seagate, but a lot of people around here (and all over the world) swear buy them - if cheapest is what you're looking for, well go ahead and get whatever is least expensive - but if you're trying to save a buck and weigh it versus performance check out a Samsung F3

Review - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Review | bit-tech.net

Here's a 1TB F3 for 80.00 bucks. Pretty great deal if you ask me - it's in the middle of the WD Black and .12 for price and in most comparable tests it either out performs or equally performs.

Newegg.ca - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

**Keep in mind that is a 32MB drive, not 64. The review I showed you is on a 32 as well, so it gives you a good idea.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 7, 2010, 07:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

alright, Thanks encorp, I'll take a look into that Spinpoint. Which brings up another question, any local store in Toronto sell 'em? (NCIX?) With the shipping it's the same price as the black practically.. and still, $80 is $23 higher then $63.. and I hate waiting :P

EDIT I'M BLIND. Reading it now!
Old October 7, 2010, 07:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well you can get them from the local NCIX here I'm sure - they are pretty easy to get to and it'll cost you 6 bucks on the TTC to get there.

Or try Spadina/College area at all the computer shops downtown. I'd just order it from NCIX and choose the option to pick it up at one of their three GTA locations.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 7, 2010, 08:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

oh I have a car and the Scarborough one is a 20 minute walk away anyways :P I just didn't check NCIX out yet.
Old October 7, 2010, 09:48 AM
F@H

My System Specs

NCIX has been out of stock on F3s for a while now....

I've been ordering them off Newegg as of late.

Really though, I'm sure you'll be happy with any of the 3. Get whatever is readily available.