Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 6, 2010, 07:49 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Recommend me a SSD plz

Well Ive got about $200 to spend and know very little about which company/type of SSD is the best for that budget. Mainly going to be used for my OS and one or two games. So if you could, please help me pick one out
~System~—Asus M4A87TD—AMD Phenom™ II X4 965 BE—Patriot Extreme 5 Performance Sector 5 G Series DDR3 4GB—eVGA GeForce GTX 275 896MB—500GB Seagate, 1TB Seagate—Corsair 850 Watt—Thermaltake Armour—Windows 7~
Old October 6, 2010, 08:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would recommend the 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 but it is a little bit more than $200.

If that is too much, then maybe go with the 60GB one.

Old October 6, 2010, 09:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Man I have been out of the loop for awhile re: SSD's...but I just purchased another one and stuck to what has worked very well for me as in Intel G2.....although I was tempted with the Vertex 2 as I also have an "older" Vertex 120GB which is working great.....

Old October 6, 2010, 10:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd recommend the Vertex 2 as well. Great SSD. If you're lucky, you can grab it for about $250 or less when on sale. It went for $200 I believe when NCIX opened the Scarbrough store...
Old October 6, 2010, 10:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Agreed Vertex 2, but wait until it goes back up in price so I don't feel so bad for buying mine for 300$ a few months ago...

No actually, it is a great SSD, just watch for deals.
Old October 6, 2010, 11:08 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilauea View Post
Agreed Vertex 2, but wait until it goes back up in price so I don't feel so bad for buying mine for 300$ a few months ago..
Same price I paid, but I feel it was a well-spent $300. Definitely made a huge difference in day-to-day performance. Something not most upgrades can do.
Old October 6, 2010, 11:58 AM
Top Prospect

Anything with the newer Sandforce controller should treat you very well. I've used Vertex 2 drives in laptops and they've been great....huge jump in performance compared to your typical 2.5" drive. In my desktop I have two Muskin Callisto drives (also based on the Sandforce controller). I've very happy with them as well.
Old October 6, 2010, 01:30 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Is this the same one, it doesnt say if its the new sandforce controller but it looks similar
Newegg.ca - OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

And what about this guy, its 10gb less, and a bit more $ but is there that much of a difference?
Newegg.ca - OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD2-2AGT50G 2.5" 50GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Also, what have you guys heard about the onyx series?

Thanks again guys for helping me out
~System~—Asus M4A87TD—AMD Phenom™ II X4 965 BE—Patriot Extreme 5 Performance Sector 5 G Series DDR3 4GB—eVGA GeForce GTX 275 896MB—500GB Seagate, 1TB Seagate—Corsair 850 Watt—Thermaltake Armour—Windows 7~
Old October 6, 2010, 01:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airw4ves View Post
Is this the same one, it doesnt say if its the new sandforce controller but it looks similar
Newegg.ca - OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

And what about this guy, its 10gb less, and a bit more $ but is there that much of a difference?
Newegg.ca - OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD2-2AGT50G 2.5" 50GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Also, what have you guys heard about the onyx series?

Thanks again guys for helping me out
For the OCZ drives, provided they are the same generation 1 or 2, it goes in that order (from worst to best): Onyx, Agility, Vertex. I am not saying there is a world of difference between the Vertex and the Agility, but this is the way it is. So the Vertex 2 is the better buy out of those 2. And between the 50 and 60gb drive of the same series, there is the exact same drive. The smaller one has a bigger part of it(10gb more to be precise) which is kept aside for longevity.

Now beyond that I am no expert, all I know is that my SSD is great (if you prefer, I was joking when I said you should wait until the prices go up).
Old October 6, 2010, 01:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

There's a 50GB Vertex 2 FYI. It's not something only the Agility has. The 60GB Vertex 2 actually carries "Extended" alongside it's name. Whether Newegg shows it or not is another story.

The Sandforce controller sets aside a large amount of flash for cache and what not to help make the cells last longer. However OCZ tweaked the firmware to decrease this amount of over-provisioning and named it "Extended". For consumer purposes, either one should last long enough. The 50GB would last longer in a server environment with heavy I/O though.