Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 3, 2010, 07:53 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Transferring files from OSX HDD to a Win7 HDD

I want to install windows vista on my macbook, but I want to backup the files first. I'm not willing to transfer the files to an external hard drive because I don't have one, but I do have a lot of storage on my win 7 computer.

I've tried hooking up the 2,5" SATA2 drive onto my main rig, however when I went into 'computer' I couldn't locate the drive... I do know however, that if I did want the hard drive to show up, I would just have to format it through the disk management program, but this is clearly what I don't want to do since I want to back up important files from the mac to my computer...

How would I approach this?

Thanks!
Old October 3, 2010, 08:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You won't be able to.

The files do not work the same. Different systems have different file systems, the reason the drive isn't showing up is because it's not readable in Windows. the reason it shows up when you format it is because it is then "formatted" for Windows. you have to use the drive under OSX or format it and lose the files all together.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 3, 2010, 08:22 PM

My System Specs

Do you have a fast network? All you have to do is Share a folder on your Windows machine and make sure you give users permissions to edit/add files to the share.

Then in Finder, Go, Connect to Server, SMB://[yourwindowscomputername], Connect. Enter in the username and password for the Windows 7 machine. SMB requires a password. If you don't have one, you will need to create one on the Windows 7 machine. Select the shared folder. Then copy whatever you want. If you have a gigabit network it won't take very long at all.
Old October 4, 2010, 12:47 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

hmm.... I will consider your suggestion, i'll keep you guys posted!
Old October 4, 2010, 11:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
You won't be able to.

The files do not work the same. Different systems have different file systems, the reason the drive isn't showing up is because it's not readable in Windows. the reason it shows up when you format it is because it is then "formatted" for Windows. you have to use the drive under OSX or format it and lose the files all together.
Mac OS X can only read NTFS. Windows cannot even read HFS+. Both cannot write to the other.

There are however solutions such as MacDrive in Widows or Paragon NTFS for Mac.
Old October 4, 2010, 11:17 AM
MVP

HFS for Windows - file system driver | PARAGON Software Group