Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 1, 2010, 05:53 PM
Rookie

Default pls help, C300 64gb 30% performance

i have i7 920 @ 3ghz, X58a-uD7, Win 7 64 bit

1 SSD C300 64 gb with Win7 SATA 6, AHCI in bios
1 WD 1tb storage

when i first installed win7 on SSD it bootet in 10-15sec max, after i installed GA utilities, winamp, mess,skype,garena,daemontools, nod32,nvidia display my SSD boot speed it's just like my WD, system boots in 30-40sec, wth happened

here is a pic, CrystalDisk don't even recognise my C300 :|

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old October 1, 2010, 06:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Running benchmarks can hurt SSD performance. Also it sounds like you probably have a bunch of apps loading on startup? That will obviously slow things down...

Granted this guide is aimed at OCZ SSDs, but it still applies to any SSD. Go through it and see if there's any tweaks you haven't done: Guide The Unofficial Forum Guide to Install XP/Vista and Windows 7 Operating Systems on OCZ Solid State Drives as a Power User. Please READ carefully!
Old October 2, 2010, 02:24 AM
Rookie

i only did 1 BENCH, after i installed wind7 because it was runnning slow @ startup and shutdown

LE: my SATA 6-7 are SATA III, they were IDE so i set them to AHCI and win7 booted normaly, wut i did before is set HDD and DVD to AHCI from IDE i think...."general Sata interface i think it was" ( IDE, RAID, AHCI)

still it boots slow :( i think 10 sec faster then my old WD Caviar Green

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by alexkissu; October 2, 2010 at 03:54 AM.
Old October 2, 2010, 10:04 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Not sure if Crucial offers any tools, but maybe look into doing a full wipe? Usually that restores performance.

Also, have you installed Intel Rapid Storage Technology? If not, go grab that from the Intel site. However, your SATA mode will need to be either AHCI or RAID for it to install.
Old October 2, 2010, 11:26 AM
Rookie

i have latest intel RST and Bios F7 , i will erase SSD when i have time and Clean Install win7

i think i messed up by installing too many programms, like 5-6 programs and 1 reboot, another 6-7 and 1 reboot
Old October 10, 2010, 10:17 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

if u switch to AHCI mode but the OS is already installed its pointless. u hafta do clean install w/ AHCI set in the bios from the get go. Also, look for bios updates, especially if u have a gigabyte mobo. Gigabyte fixed an issue wherein SSDs were taking a long time to load for some reason. I did it myself and boot times went from 20sec to 10. anyways 30-40sec to load, regardless of how many startup apps u have is wayyyy too slow for the C300.
Old October 11, 2010, 07:20 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Your SSD is in a degraded state. It happens when you don't let TRIM work. The only way to get TRIM is A) set AHCI mode in BIOS and b) run MS AHCI or Intel RST drivers. From your post you were running it in IDE mode and thus were relying on its self-maintenance routines to keep it fast. It didn't work as you didn't let your system idle enough. At this point the fastest easiest way to get the speed back WITHOUT formatting and starting from scratch is A) make sure you are in AHCI mode B) run MS AHCI drivers C) run a freespacecleaner w/ FF option. It will write FFs (the virgin state of nand) to all the free cells of the SSD. This will "clean" the cells and you speed should pop back to where it was.

You can get freespacecleaner here (aka AS-Clean)
Guide A simple guide for speeding up EOL OCZ SSD's.

You only need to run it ONCE. BUT let it keep going until is it finished. IGNORE the green bar...it goes up and down seemingly randomly. You will know when it is done when the bar doesnt move anymore and you can hit "clean" again. After you have run it, AND are in AHCI mode w/ the proper drivers....delete freespacecleaner. You will no longer need it.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr