Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   ssd cons (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/36727-ssd-cons.html)

CTA October 1, 2010 01:44 PM

ssd cons

last night, i read a lot of articles...

i am interesting into ocz vertex 2 for preformance and corsair force for value...

i just want to know... that is ssd that reliablity? i could afford 80gb to 120 gb... but i dont want to burn my money if ssd got slow over time... i think the technology of ssd is not really ready... i think i should wait for improving ssd...

please correct me if i am wrong... or make me to buy ssd ;p

i also dont want to buy two big hard drivers that for both os and storage... i still have old wd raptor 150gb... >_>;

MacJunky October 1, 2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA (Post 434664)
that is ssd that reliablity?

Have lots of RAM(8GB+) and turn off the pagefile.
Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA (Post 434664)
but i dont want to burn my money if ssd got slow over time...

TRIM command.

CTA October 1, 2010 02:13 PM

i am not sure if i understand you...

you mean i need more than 8gb ram (not ssd) and disable pagefile....

what is trim command... i have go to find out... ;p

Caldezar October 1, 2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA (Post 434671)
what is trim command... i have go to find out... ;p

TRIM is native in Windows 7. Here's a Linus video with a great explanation...

YouTube - What is TRIM and Why Does Your SSD Need It? Linus Tech Tips

CTA October 1, 2010 02:31 PM

i already figure out... thanks ;]

i guess it will last as it could be... then? like 1 or 2 years? i think i should replace ssd every year to get better ssd...

fishingfanatic October 1, 2010 02:44 PM

Storage

I would definitely get the Vertex II. Fastest one I've had an OS on. The Agility is ok, so is the Kingston Now V+, but the best is by far the vertex!!!

I would also get the 120gb as the more empty space you have on the drive the longer it lasts, AkG and a few others can explain a lot better than I can. Enjoy.
:thumb::biggrin:

Xeven October 1, 2010 02:45 PM

SSD's have limited write cycles, as such you want to limit the number of writes done to it. If you have a limited amount of memory in your system and you use application(s) which require a relatively large amounts of memory, then these applications will use the pagefile instead. This will cause your system to write to your SSD more and thus lowering its theoretical lifetime. Manufacturers however implement things like write-leveling to extend your SSD's life and most decent ones claim an MTBF of 1.5 Million hours which is about 2x a person's lifetime. You can also help by increasing your memory and/or move your pagefile to a second platter drive to limit the write cycles (as previously stated).

In order to overwrite a single byte in an SSD you have to ERASE the block where the byte is located first before you are able to write your single byte. Simplistically this means 2 operations instead of the normal 1 operation, which of course cut's into your write time. Manufacturers implement things like internal garbage collection and/or TRIM support to "automatically" clear unused dirty blocks so that when the write occurs next time it only takes 1 operation to write to free blocks. Theoretically this means your write times won't deteriorate through time (well theoretically). Even if the write time does deteriorate the access times for SSD's are so low they will still me much "faster" that most platter drives.

So is it worth it? Unless you're running on a lowest of low system, things will definitely get "snappier". Whether that's worth it, it's up to you. Definitely worth it to me though. :biggrin:

Delavan October 1, 2010 02:59 PM

It's a proven fact that under regular usage (not server-duty), the SSDs will last a good 5 years or more. It all depends on the amount of writes...

BUT, if you want to get one SSD, get Win7 PERIOD with it.

Run SSD tweaks and read on SSDs, you will find out.

Solid-state drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Read this wiki, it's good and complete for once.

CTA October 1, 2010 03:04 PM

ok i understand clear.... i will get vertex 2... for more than 8gb... then i will need 9gb (existing?) or 12 gb because i am using triple channel ram from x58a-ud3r or ud9 (i already ordered ud9 but not pay it yet)...

one problem... i am planning to get mushkin blackline 12gb but 12gb is not available anywhere except mushkin webstore... and i dont see 9gb anywhere too...

edit: if ssd is last longer than 5 year then i will not need 8+ ram... >_>;

of course, i will use win7 ;p

mkultra October 1, 2010 03:37 PM

you don'tneed 8GB+ for a SSD, 4-6GB will be enough for getting rid of the pagfile