Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 3, 2010, 01:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
My machine takes 2+ minutes to boot and I still think the SSD's are the best piece of computer hardware I own.

What does this have to do w/ anything? Read speeds are way more important for almost everything.
haha well thanks for quoting only part of my post, but if you didn't notice I also said I rarely power down my machine and when I do I don't mind the extra wait time over an SSD, and I also said I don't mind if the few programs that I'm opening (reading) take an extra second or two to open compared to the price I pay for an SSD. Don't get me wrong I'd love to have one but it's not worth it, price wise for me.
Old October 3, 2010, 04:52 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
haha well thanks for quoting only part of my post, but if you didn't notice I also said I rarely power down my machine and when I do I don't mind the extra wait time over an SSD, and I also said I don't mind if the few programs that I'm opening (reading) take an extra second or two to open compared to the price I pay for an SSD. Don't get me wrong I'd love to have one but it's not worth it, price wise for me.

Hey its all good. No one piece of equipment is going to be right for everyone. It would be like recommending a 5870 for someone who only plays only WoW.

It is rare though not to notice at least SOME improvement.

Out of curiosity what SSD did you have and what OS? Or are you basing your opinion on friends recommendations? If its the former sorry to hear it didnt work out for you. It its the latter you might want to pick up a cheap 40gb'er and see what everyone has been talking about.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 3, 2010, 08:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

I cannot stand any computer without a good SSD / Win7 (TRIM).
I guess it worked for me. I understands Zero's point tho.

Anyway, I like the SSD experience. It's a luxury, yes, but the difference can be felt! If budget can't permit it on a low-cost build project, ok, but for the most part, SSDs are part of 90% of all the enthusiasts builds from now and on!

BTW, I'm talking OS drive....
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old October 3, 2010, 05:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't get how people can say that it only affects boot and login times. I have put them in machines at work and have them in my notebook and desktop here at home and I will say that there most definitely is a difference in everything that I do with the OS and any program loaded onto the SSD.

Yes I am talking about games as well. Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age both had significantly quicker load times that yes improve the experience for me. This was also very evident with Oblivion as well. Now at work I don't have those games but I will tell you that even with brand new high end machines there is a difference in the apps that they use. We have all switched over to Office 2010 and the load time for word, excel, access, powerpoint, and outlook are improved. I'm talking about less than a second with the SSD and more like 5-30 seconds without.

All in all a good SSD will make a big difference in any machine. Oh and putting one in a notebook increases battery life and that is also where you will notice boot and login times the most.

Old October 3, 2010, 06:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well this thread ran it's course a few pages back, didn't it?

Considering the computer industry only exists because of early adopting geeks - why on earth would you argue the financial ethics of a decision to buy a piece of technology or not? At one point or another every single thing in your systems was at the same point an SSD was, and if people didn't buy them - they wouldn't exist in their current, well functioning and affordable forms.

Some people get off on playing devil's advocate and I think it's cute.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 3, 2010, 06:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Some people get off on playing devil's advocate and I think it's cute.
Isn't it why you posted in this thread?
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old October 3, 2010, 07:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
Isn't it why you posted in this thread?
Probably. Thats usually why I post in any thread. I actually almost said something about it but forgot once I got to typing my post Hahaha.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 3, 2010, 07:45 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

My temps in my laptop went down a lot after I moved to SSD (if I recall, ~15c). I shut down my laptop a lot more than my desktop, so the excellent boot times have come in handy. My application load-times improved geatly as well, but the HDD the SSD replaced was a 5400rpm drive; the improvement would not have been as great obviously if the old drive was 7200rpm.

So my experience was that on my Desktop rigs, the improvement was mostly a novelty; on the laptop, I would not go back.
Fold for team #54196
Old October 3, 2010, 09:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Hey Chris....just looking in your Specs...you really gotta change that "desky" "foldy" titles dude.......sounds.....hhhmmm...gay ;) ...........not that theirs anything wrong with that btw ....
Old October 3, 2010, 10:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Hey Chris....just looking in your Specs...you really gotta change that "desky" "foldy" titles dude.......sounds.....hhhmmm...gay ;) ...........not that theirs anything wrong with that btw ....
The last time I said that I got a warning and my second account banned.

Hahaha

it is true though.