Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 2, 2010, 03:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't have a need for one, I barely write to my C drive. I use my computer to game, fold, media, and web. Nothing I would really benefit from from having a 60gb OS drive. My machine is powered up most of the time. Sure, it would be nice if my winamp, browser, etc. opened instantly but whatever. Don't get me wrong I think it's great technology, I just don't find it beneficial for my uses quite yet.

CSA I see that vertex 2 as $130 after MIR, not $130 before MIR...
Old October 2, 2010, 03:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

actually only staff can access to lower price to 130cdn with 30cdn rebate... :?
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old October 2, 2010, 03:48 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The biggest issue with SSDs is that the experience is so seamless that you really only will notice the difference when you go BACK to using a HDD! THEN you will notice it..or the LACK of speed to be precise.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 2, 2010, 05:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
The biggest issue with SSDs is that the experience is so seamless that you really only will notice the difference when you go BACK to using a HDD! THEN you will notice it..or the LACK of speed to be precise.
You know mine does not arrive until monday-ish right?

You're really pissin' me off here mister! hahahaha
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 2, 2010, 05:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Storage

I did a bit of research and found that even the fastest spindle drive, with the exception of those 15k server drives, the lag is 3ms for the new WD VRaptor. The lag on a SSD, approx. 0.1ms.

I had games on another SSD as well as my OS for a bit and found it better. How much is hard to say as my gaming skills are akin to whistling with a mouthful of crackers.
Old October 2, 2010, 05:36 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
Bah! Zero. YOU RUN AN SSD in your system. And don't tell me you don't like it, cause it's listed in your build.

Besides, last time I checked boot and load times WERE real world. They sure are not synthetic benchmarks; thats for sure.

I've -always- ran my os on it's on boot drive, with another drive set up for my page file and other swap/temp folders and another drive set up for software/games and yet another for storage.

So replacing a 640gb drive with a 120.0 60gb SSD is completely worth it.

I'll boot and load faster..and since the only computers do is boot up and then read and write to memory and drives - there's no reason not to.

I love when computer enthusiasts are unenthusiastic :P
Of course the SSD is listed in my build; it's part of it. Frankly, the only reason I still have the SSD is because I don't feel like putting in the effort to try and sell it off and then have to buy an HD to replace it (and then I'll have to image the SSD onto the HD). I bought the SSD because I needed a drive and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I certainly don't feel like the 180 bucks or so that I paid for it was a worthwhile investment based on what I got out of it.

Yes, boot times are real-world, but I rarely reboot my PC anyway, and when I do, I can afford to wait another 30 seconds. As far as load times, I haven't noticed any difference. Most applications already opened instantly, even on my old rig, and the games that I tried loading off my SSD did not show any perceptive improvement in loading times.

I also use separate partitions for my OS and my other data. However, when I used to run a 640GB drive as my main one, I had a 100GB partition for my OS and applications, and a 500GB partition for other things. Having a 640GB OS drive doesn't mean the entire thing needs to be dedicated to an OS partition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
I regularly use fast PCs without SSDs and I don't notice any performance difference in general-purpose usage compared to my main rig.
Old October 2, 2010, 05:59 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

As I said...YMMV. You are one of the few peeps who have said that though. I know before I moved over to ONLY SSDs my dual core crap top felt much faster and opened programs a lot faster than my main rig (at the time) which was a quad core w/ Vraptor 300gb.

Guess it all depends on what you use your system for. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 2, 2010, 07:11 PM
MVP

My System Specs

one of the main thing about SSD is the noiseless experience, OS' HDD constantly seeking is now gone for good
Old October 2, 2010, 08:06 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
Winner winner, chicken dinner! I'm fine with windows taking 30 seconds to load instead of 10. I'll wait until I can get a 500gb SSD for <$200, at the least.
My machine takes 2+ minutes to boot and I still think the SSD's are the best piece of computer hardware I own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
I don't have a need for one, I barely write to my C drive
What does this have to do w/ anything? Read speeds are way more important for almost everything.
Old October 3, 2010, 12:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Yep...just purchased my 4th SSD ....my 640Gb Blacks are strictly for Data.....its not just Boot / shut down times...its the whole Windows experience that is indeed "snappy".....even threw two of em in my notebook.

I could never load an OS on a traditional HDD now...spoiled ;)

Oh...I certainly don't miss that "herd of elephants" in my case every time my old Raptor Drive was "grinding" away......with that said, the WD Blacks are quite silent!