Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 2, 2010, 11:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTA View Post
hmmm... should i trust your advice about disable pagefile now?

two kits of 12gb... you mean 2x6gb ram? mobo never carries 6 ram slots (6x2gb)... (sorry if i dont understand you)

btw... 100cdn vertex 2 is still not found... it drove me crazy... have to drive to see them soon...

I run without a page file, and I have 6gb of ram. I've never had an issue. Ask around if you'd like to make sure.

Yes. 6x2gb sticks.

Btw: I bought the Corsair 60gb for 120.00 on ncix during their last sale. It'll be here soon.. I was told it is a fine drive.. I don't know myself yet, though. lol
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 2, 2010, 12:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

cool... you are right... (i check the picture...)

ok i will grab 6gb and see if i have problem... if do then will grab another one...

g.skill ripjaws 1600 for $139 (mushkin blackline is not available :?)
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old October 2, 2010, 12:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTA View Post
cool... you are right... (i check the picture...)

ok i will grab 6gb and see if i have problem... if do then will grab another one...

g.skill ripjaws 1600 for $139 (mushkin blackline is not available :?)
Bah; guess not.. I havn't followed Mushkin stock in ages; although it's always my RAM of choice.. hell I ordered my redlines straight from the US just to get em! LOL

g.skill are fine too... 139 is a good price.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 2, 2010, 12:29 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
You can run without a page file on 6gb NO PROBLEM.
Very debatable. Try playing Crysis.
Old October 2, 2010, 12:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Very debatable. Try playing Crysis.
It's why I asked him to ask around.

I also don't play garbage games that have pretty graphics for no reason that are built on shitty, leaky engines, so I don't have first hand knowledge of it.

I do edit video using VERY large files for motion pictures however, and I've had zero problems.
Old October 2, 2010, 01:43 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

run with LOTs of ram....move pg file to a hdd. Win win. No need to worry about problems coming out of the blue that way. :)

TBH 9 times out 10 LOTS of ram means you wont need pg file....BUT that other 1....THATS the one that creeps up behind you and buggers up your day. :(

YMMV but SSD for the os w/ 6GB of ram + hdd is a good option. SSD for os + 12gb of ram + hdd is better. All depends on your budget.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 2, 2010, 01:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
SSD cons:

1. They cost an arm and a leg compared to HDs.
2. They provide very little real-world performance benefit outside of boot and login times.

If I were you, I wouldn't get an SSD. It's not worth it.

-An SSD owner
Winner winner, chicken dinner! I'm fine with windows taking 30 seconds to load instead of 10. I'll wait until I can get a 500gb SSD for <$200, at the least.
Old October 2, 2010, 02:21 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommie986 View Post
What about a high RPM HDD?
Basically just slower SSDs with more storage. You're not going to notice a difference most of the time as long as you already have a pretty fast machine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
Now you can go back to telling zero off and giving him ski'ing lessons at the same time. ;)
You bastard, you promised that you were going to give me skiing lessons!
Old October 2, 2010, 03:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
Winner winner, chicken dinner! I'm fine with windows taking 30 seconds to load instead of 10. I'll wait until I can get a 500gb SSD for <$200, at the least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Basically just slower SSDs with more storage. You're not going to notice a difference most of the time as long as you already have a pretty fast machine.
Bah! Zero. YOU RUN AN SSD in your system. And don't tell me you don't like it, cause it's listed in your build.

Besides, last time I checked boot and load times WERE real world. They sure are not synthetic benchmarks; thats for sure.

I've -always- ran my os on it's on boot drive, with another drive set up for my page file and other swap/temp folders and another drive set up for software/games and yet another for storage.

So replacing a 640gb drive with a 120.0 60gb SSD is completely worth it.

I'll boot and load faster..and since the only computers do is boot up and then read and write to memory and drives - there's no reason not to.

I love when computer enthusiasts are unenthusiastic :P
Old October 2, 2010, 03:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

alright... i will get another 6 gb later... right now... i want to spend on wc parts too... thats what i am planning to ask next... ;p

btw... i got ocz vertex 2 60gb for 130cdn + 30off rebate and 47cdn for seagate 7000.12 1tb... pretty good deal...

so thanks everyone... and big thank to xeven... 100cdn on 60gb sdd is pretty good...
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.