Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 30, 2010, 02:51 PM
Rookie

Default looking for a 2tb reliable harddrive for backup.

I would like it not more than $120. I have been looking at caviar green; there is a deal near my local computer store wd caviar green 2tb 64mb cache for 100, But i have been hearing some bad reviews about it dying in days months. Also the seagate barracuda are as bad as the greens. So any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old September 30, 2010, 03:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If the green are bad, and the seagate are bad then you are screwed because they are all the same with different spec. All 2TB drive can die since the platter are REALLY dence. Get a WD 2tb Caviar green and you will be fine. Especially in your price range. But well, many of us here use the WD 2tb green without issue since the lunch so, dunno where you get the info about dying but to me it`s not really true.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old September 30, 2010, 05:56 PM
Rookie

i got it from new egg reviews, thanks for the input.
Old September 30, 2010, 06:38 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

With egg reviews....throw out the highest and the lowest. That will give a better average overall picture of the product. TBH, the only time I look at the reviews is to see if their is a HUGE number of bad (like 1 and 2's = 33% or more). Then I go through them and throw out the obviously PEBKAC errors that they are complaining about.

The greens are great for secondary drives. They suck as OS drives. They autopark their heads after 8seconds...which when they are used as an OS drive...means they wear out PDQ. Same goes for similar environments. If you plan on using it in an enclosure or inside your case as a "D" data drive you will be fine with the WD Green. I have a bunch myself. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 30, 2010, 06:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Assassin View Post
i got it from new egg reviews, thanks for the input.

Ahah never trust egg review seriously. Most of the time only people that add issue with the product really comment. Also, sometime you see really dumb issue ( saw most of the time hard drive was DOA, not working ) but the drive have never been initialisated. But the person have a high tech lvl...ho great...Get the WD 2tb now:P

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old September 30, 2010, 06:47 PM
Banned
F@H

depending n the usage, it can last you a while. if you access it sometimes? or have bittorrent keeping it active all the time? no worries there. i have a couple with sky high Load_Cycle_Count and still work fine, but i wouldn't necessarily keep important data on them, or ready for a quick rma :)
Old September 30, 2010, 10:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
Ahah never trust egg review seriously. Most of the time only people that add issue with the product really comment. Also, sometime you see really dumb issue ( saw most of the time hard drive was DOA, not working ) but the drive have never been initialisated. But the person have a high tech lvl...ho great...Get the WD 2tb now:P
Yeah I only use it as a reference. I wouldn't trust the 1-5 egg scale as much as reading through problems. Any problems with stuff being DOA isn't a huge issue, but if you see a recurring problem by numerous people...something to consider. For example the Zalman air cooler for the 5800 series shorts out a lot of cards. Nice to know that before buying :)