Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 25, 2010, 10:55 AM
Rookie

Default SSD and HDD, 2 OS help

i have a i7 920, Giga X58a-ud7, 1 WD 1tb and 1 SSD Crucial C300 arriving tomorrow.

my prob is that i have Win7 installad on my WD ( 50gb Primary Partition, 900GB logical partiton dunno how i messed up with my Partition Fromat bla bla) and i wanna format the primary partion, keep only SSD bootable since i ordered it especially for IS.

My problem is how to install win7 on my C300 considering the fact that i alrdy have Win7 on my WD hdd and can't format it.

I know i have to turn AHCI mode in bios, i will look for it because i don't know where it is, then set my C300 as 1st boot device, install win7 on my SSD and then from Win7 Format the WD Partition?

don't wanna screw up boot or somethin and get dual Windows logon screen and stuff.

if i didn't make my prob clear enough i will try and rephrase it....thx for help

Last edited by alexkissu; September 25, 2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old September 25, 2010, 12:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

what I did was unplugged my HDD So that my SSD was the only drive installed I booted up installed win7 updated and installed the needed drivers and what nots after everything was updated and installed I shutdown and plugged in the HDD again, started the PC when everything was loaded up I copy\pasted what I needed to copy paste. I use my SSD and a couple of programs like my web browser and a few other regulary programs onto my SSD but all other programs are installed on my HDD things like games and other large programs even all of my portable programs are in a folder on my HDD I also ( because I don't use my HDD win7 os) deleted the system folder and everything else not needed on my HDD so basically my setup is my SSD drive is a boot drive with a couple of programs on it everything else runs off of my HD.
Old September 25, 2010, 12:50 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkissu View Post

don't wanna screw up boot or somethin and get dual Windows logon screen and stuff.
if it happens you delete the unwanted OS from the boot config(MSCONFIG), it won't ask if only one OS is present in the bootfile
Old September 25, 2010, 03:17 PM
Rookie

thx a lot, i will