Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   Best drives for RAID... (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/36482-best-drives-raid.html)

Perineum September 22, 2010 10:14 PM

Best drives for RAID...

I'm looking to make a RAID for data redundancy attached to a NAS. Speed isn't too much of a factor as it'll never go faster than gigabit ethernet. However, electricity use is.

So, most important features for drives would be reliability/warranty and efficiency.

I'm using an Adaptec 31605 for a RAID card, if that helps. I was thinking of using a Jmicron controller but then I thought to myself, "WHO THE HELL DOES THAT?!" :doh: Err, but anyway....

Any opinions?

lowfat September 22, 2010 10:43 PM

My vote would likely be for the Seagate Barracude LP's. Quite a few of my drives are the LP's and I've had really no problems with them. The variable RPM of the WD Greens can cause quite a few issues w/ drives dropping. And besides those two I am not really aware of lower powered drives. And if you have the heads park on the drives while not in use, power usage should be very minimal.

BTW nice RAID card, I use to have me one of them a few years back.

Perineum September 23, 2010 12:33 AM

Nice, I'll look into the LP drives.

... and not only did you have one of them RAID cards a few years back you actually had this particular RAID card as I bought it off you a while ago.... :thumb:

misterd September 23, 2010 06:01 AM

Haha, slutty hardware getting around. I recently bought 2 Samsung F3 2TB drives from newegg.ca for a RAID1 array. I was concerned with Seagate and their past reliability and the WD Greens dropping out of an array. I have 2 Samsung F1 1TB drives that have given me no qualms whatsoever running 24/7 for ~2 years so I decided I would give these a shot.

Perineum September 23, 2010 11:03 AM

Well I'm actually rather happy that he said "hey, btw, nice raid card!" rather than "Ugh, I couldn't stand that P.O.S. so I sold it to some arsehole a while back!"

hehe

Synth September 23, 2010 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowfat (Post 431987)
My vote would likely be for the Seagate Barracude LP's. Quite a few of my drives are the LP's and I've had really no problems with them. The variable RPM of the WD Greens can cause quite a few issues w/ drives dropping. And besides those two I am not really aware of lower powered drives. And if you have the heads park on the drives while not in use, power usage should be very minimal.

BTW nice RAID card, I use to have me one of them a few years back.

Are these ones succeptible to dropping out of raid too? I'm planning on using ZFS Raid-Z...

lowfat September 23, 2010 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synth (Post 432100)
Are these ones succeptible to dropping out of raid too? I'm planning on using ZFS Raid-Z...

AFAIK all WD Greens are not well liked when it comes to RAID arrays. They park their heads too quickly and the variable RPM's mess things up. The drives will often drop from the array.

3.0charlie September 23, 2010 03:55 PM

Drives... I have a Raid 50 setup using 4 Sammy F1s and 4 Seagates 7200-12s. No problems.

Synth September 23, 2010 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowfat (Post 432217)
AFAIK all WD Greens are not well liked when it comes to RAID arrays. They park their heads too quickly and the variable RPM's mess things up. The drives will often drop from the array.

@!&% and I just got 4 of them for my NAS...

gingerbee September 23, 2010 05:55 PM

i think you can turn on a error feature on the WD so they work in raid other wise lowfat is right they fall out of raid all the time.

TLER Utility - WDTLER.ZIP Western Digital Utility