Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 16, 2010, 12:26 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default 1TB HDD showing up as only 196GB?

So Ive had this HDD for about 4 months, and I just recently decided to clean it up and free up some space, etc. well when I went to "My Computer", its showing that it is almost completely full with only 3 GB free.
I find this hard to believe as I only have my OS, 200ish photos, 2 games, and maybe 1000 songs on it. Now I made sure to look at the HDD and it does say 1TB on it, but when I look at it in "My Computer", it shows up as being only 196GB?!?
Did Seagate give me the wrong HDD? or have I done something wrong?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
~System~—Asus M4A87TD—AMD Phenom™ II X4 965 BE—Patriot Extreme 5 Performance Sector 5 G Series DDR3 4GB—eVGA GeForce GTX 275 896MB—500GB Seagate, 1TB Seagate—Corsair 850 Watt—Thermaltake Armour—Windows 7~
Old September 16, 2010, 12:52 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airw4ves View Post
So Ive had this HDD for about 4 months, and I just recently decided to clean it up and free up some space, etc. well when I went to "My Computer", its showing that it is almost completely full with only 3 GB free.
I find this hard to believe as I only have my OS, 200ish photos, 2 games, and maybe 1000 songs on it. Now I made sure to look at the HDD and it does say 1TB on it, but when I look at it in "My Computer", it shows up as being only 196GB?!?
Did Seagate give me the wrong HDD? or have I done something wrong?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
JAM Software - Windows Freeware

but first go into storage management and make use of the unpartitioned space that you have laying around :)
Old September 16, 2010, 09:14 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Go into the Start menu, type diskmgmt.msc into the search box, and press Enter. Look at your 1TB HD and see if there is unallocated space listed under it. If there is, then you can either make a new partition and use that for storage, or expand the existing partition to occupy the full capacity of the drive. However, if it is your boot partition, you cannot expand it through Windows so you'll have to get a boot disk with a third-party partitioning utility and use that.

If the drive is actually listed as a 196GB drive in Disk Management, then it's faulty.