Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 15, 2010, 09:40 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Corsair Force 40GB Solid State Drive Review Comment Thread

The quality of products in the value-oriented SSD market really hasn't been anything to brag about ever since solid state drives began gaining popularity. However, a few companies are working to erase preconceptions many now have about just how much needs to be spent for a decent SSD. Corsair's Force 40GB breaks with the pack by offering respectable performance in a sun-$150 product.

[ Read full article ]
Old September 16, 2010, 12:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Storage

While I think the 40gb drive is still a bit small for an OS, the performance for the price seems quite good. Even though it shows price/ is a bit higher than others, as stated it's b4 price drops. I think the 60 would be my absolute minimum for that OS purpose. Kudos for Corsair in trying to bring a more budget friendly drive with respectable performance to the market.

I suspect there will soon be even faster drives coming to market, making these drives even more affordable in the near future.
Old September 16, 2010, 09:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Not bad, but I think I'd drop a few extra bucks on an Agility or Vertex. Good review. I like to see budget devices being reviewed.
Old September 16, 2010, 03:19 PM
Rookie

i didn't mind the article as i am in the market for 4 ssd. I wasn't sold in the intel/kingston small guys and from what i read its the vertec 2 60 gb that is the real king.... i'm just wondering why you didn't add more of the high end budget products do your review to make it more helpful with that whole apples to apples thing. other then that... good job!
Old September 17, 2010, 04:25 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I wonder if the F40 suffers from BSOD problems that the F60 does? My F60 would constantly crash when trying to "wake up" from sleep mode. Then the drive wouldn't show up in the BIOS unless I did a cold boot.
Old September 17, 2010, 05:15 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

sorry to hear that, but it sounds like either a bad drive (bad controller actually) or a compatibility issue with your current rig as that is not how they usually act. I have used 4 SF 60s and 3 40s (various ocz, corsair etc branded) in builds in the recent past and none have exhibited that issue. Did you talk to Corsair? Id yank the drive and try it in anothert system. I KNOW I wouldnt trust that particular drive as it could be a warning sign of impending failure. YMMV but I personally would talk to Corsair. They are very good people to deal with. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 17, 2010, 10:43 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

It works fine in my AMD system, but has the problem in my Intel I7 setup. Go figure....
Needless to say, I just use it in my AMD system. There's quite a few people over on the Corsair forums who've had the similar problem as well. Most of us with the problems are running X58 chipsets. That seems to be the one constant with the problem.
Old September 19, 2010, 09:28 AM
Rookie

I havent seen reviews of the Vertex 2 40 gb yet.

Would its performance be closer to the Corsair F40 or the Vertex 2 100gb?