Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 12, 2010, 03:04 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Silverstone HDDBoost

Would it be worth it to use the HDDBoost with a WD640GB Black and a 64GB V+ Kingston SSD?

Or would I be better off getting a 128GB V Kingston and using it as an OS drive? Because a 128GB V would cost as much as a 64GB V+ & HDDBoost.
Old September 12, 2010, 03:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

no it's not there was a review of it not sure if it was hwc or not. yup here you go SilverStone HDDBoost Review
Old September 12, 2010, 07:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Go pure SSD or nothing IMO. 64GB would be adequate for an OS drive as well. I have a Vertex 2 120GB with only 42GB used. That's with all my apps (CS5 Master/Office 2010 being the big ones), but no games. Really depends on how you want to split things up.

Games, to me, don't really need to be on the SSD. Large files (maps, textures, etc) are quick enough on hard drives. I didn't notice any decrease in load times when I had some games on my SSD.

I'd personally go with a Sandforce based drive though, but it's entirely up to you. They're about the fastest consumer drive you can get. Intel SSDs would be a close 2nd. Then there's the rest of the "old" stuff that's mainly Indillix or JMicron.