Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 12, 2010, 11:57 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default SSD as Boot Disk, HDD for Others

Hi, I was wondering how it would work if you used a SSD for the OS only, and the HDD for other stuff (programs). I know some programs creates folders in "My Documents" with all the settings and preferences saved (ex: BFBC2). So if you installed say BFBC2 in your HDD (Drive E), would it keep the configuration files in your SSD (Drive C) or your HDD (Drive E)? (Drive D being your optical drive).
Old September 12, 2010, 12:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

By default, yes...

There are some registry hacks to move the C:\Users to somewhere else, but I was never brave enough to try any of them.
I've been running with a small OS partition on one drive and the rest on other drives for a while, but I just let programs put the config data into drive C: since attempting to move them may cause problems depending on how much hard-coding the developers did in their programs.

You can move most of the folders using the following method: Windows 7 - Moving My Documents
However, the largest chunk of program configurations is actually stored in C:\Users\<youruser>\AppData, which cannot be moved without registry hacks.
Old September 12, 2010, 01:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have my pc set up with my OS on the SSD and everything else either portable on a seperate drive or in a program files folder on my standard hard drive I have been running this way ever since I installed the SSD . you can setup allot of programs to save things onto the hard drive ibnstead of the SSD , it is a bit of a hassle but I do it with every program that I cannot make into a portable program. why I did this is becasue I hate having to reinstall everything if my OS becomes un repairable
Old September 12, 2010, 01:08 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Thanks a lot! I think I'll just leave it as default. I'll probably be getting a 120GB SSD anyways, so some config files won't take up that much.
Old September 12, 2010, 01:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

no point in my opinion