Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 6, 2010, 09:48 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Dying hard drive..?

After a week of being off, I came home, booted up my machine and noticed the OS load screen lasted a minute or two. Abnormal but didn't think a lot of it. Consistently it started doing this, so I ran chkdsk and it hung at 0% at "verifying file data". Restarted it, hung at 1%, restarted it, seemed to go normally..

Ran western digital DLG which always passes short tests, but extended either works normally and passes, OR estimates over 100 hours when doing a sector scan. HD Tune behaves similarly. Once it crashed just after a prompt arose, stating something like "too many bad sectors". Benchmarks are atrocious for transfer rate, as it will plummet to 4mb/s transfer intermittently.
Occasionally I'd get a BSOD or "UNMOUNTABLE BOOT MEDIA" bsod on boot. Those went away except for one instance after a clean os install.

Tried: Reformatting, re-installing OS, different sata port, different cable... I think that's it.

To me, it seems like my hard drive is dying but I can't get a definitive answer. Thoughts of any kind?

++also, when trying to backup a clone with Acronis it said the partition was too damaged, or something of that nature. I will see if it does so now..
--Got as far as the prompt to reboot this time. Didn't continue, need the data on the 2 remaining drive i have.

Last edited by clone63; September 6, 2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old September 6, 2010, 09:55 PM
Banned
F@H

tried another sata cable? almost ripped me riggie down because of such bugger the other week.

try hdtune, you should see yellow or red. probably rma.
Old September 6, 2010, 10:20 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Yes, I have, when I switched the port.

Nothing but green on HD tune.

I've run several tests and have had a harder time simulating the results, it is normalizing, but get the odd slow down..
Old September 6, 2010, 10:30 PM
Banned
F@H

cool. put it in another box and do a proper wipe, say 24-48 hrs. if its fine afterwards, i dont know. if 'it dies trying' ? you know what to do.

Ultimate Boot CD - Overview

Darik's Boot And Nuke | Hard Drive Disk Wipe and Data Clearing

after youre done yourself not even wd will get your stuff
Old September 6, 2010, 10:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

Your better off running HDat2 which can be found on the UBCD for Dos or from their website.

I find it works wonders for hard drives that may have issues.
Old September 6, 2010, 10:57 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Will give HDat2's "Most powerful test" a go in the AM
Thx guys
Old September 6, 2010, 11:40 PM
Banned
F@H

no worries man. also, even if the utilities give you a go but you ISOLATE the problem to the hdd, do wipe it and rma it. better be safe then...hmm..what was it? :)

35 passes, 7 passes, one more 35 passes should be more than enough. had some guys from..umo or poly i forgot try to get some of me data back, failed miserably
Old September 7, 2010, 05:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sounds odd but I would do at least one pass of memtest86. Whenever I have a problem that shows up and then goes away and is always hard to get a solid definitive answer half the time it ends up being bad system RAM.

If you're not tripping SMART and you just seem to be corrupting data it points more towards a RAM issue, especially since you've already ruled out the SATA cable.

In my experience I can't see a HD passing a drive self test and still being bad. However, bad system RAM will slowly corrupt all data on the HD as stuff is read into memory and then written back corrupted.
Old September 7, 2010, 10:14 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Ran 3 passes of memtest. Turned down its speed a notch too, during the initial frustration. Is there anything else I could do to test the memory, I'm not completely satisfied its my hdd, though I am starting the "Most powerful test" of all time.
Old September 7, 2010, 10:31 AM
Banned
F@H

prime the system? but put it in another puter and keep it there till it does it again to be sure.or if you had enough just rma it.