Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 7, 2010, 08:10 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Well, left it running when I left for work and apparently the power flickered, so rather than waiting for the scan another damn 12 hours or so, I screwed around just to see how quick some of the other ones are. This is the strange part:
I started a read test (I think), and after a couple seconds, it comes up saying a sector has an ecc error.
I ran a sector repair scan and it came up again. Honestly cant remember if it claimed it fixed it or not, but after several other scans it did not come up again. It went through a full sector scan just now without error. So, I will run a full wipe tomorrow and if it survives, then I guess I am going to take my chances with it.
Old September 7, 2010, 08:24 PM
Banned
F@H

ok. but i wouldnt. your data/time/hair on thine scalp are more important.
Old September 16, 2010, 09:50 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clone63 View Post
Well, left it running when I left for work and apparently the power flickered, so rather than waiting for the scan another damn 12 hours or so, I screwed around just to see how quick some of the other ones are. This is the strange part:
I started a read test (I think), and after a couple seconds, it comes up saying a sector has an ecc error.
I ran a sector repair scan and it came up again. Honestly cant remember if it claimed it fixed it or not, but after several other scans it did not come up again. It went through a full sector scan just now without error. So, I will run a full wipe tomorrow and if it survives, then I guess I am going to take my chances with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
ok. but i wouldnt. your data/time/hair on thine scalp are more important.
I agree with dangtx. I had the same situation and it 'resolved' itself with repaired sectors with a thorough checkdisk or other such utility. A few months later it was dead. The problem was 1) lost my data unexpectedly and 2) it was now outside warranty time

RMA it if you can