Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 2, 2010, 06:44 PM
Rookie

Default usb 3.0 storage options

Value for money, whats the best option when it comes to portable USB 3.0 hard drives?
Old September 2, 2010, 06:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

You would need SATA 3.0 drives to make it worth owning a USB 3.0 enclosure.
Old September 2, 2010, 07:34 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
You would need SATA 3.0 drives to make it worth owning a USB 3.0 enclosure.
No you wouldn't. USB2.0 stops at around 25MB - 30MB/s. Almost any hard drive does more than that. Now as for recommendations I don't have any.
Old September 2, 2010, 08:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I haven't seen any yet, lots of enclosures are 3.0 - so grab a nice enclosure and then a drive of your choice.
Old September 2, 2010, 08:39 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
I haven't seen any yet, lots of enclosures are 3.0 - so grab a nice enclosure and then a drive of your choice.

Best bang for your buck....THIS is the way to go. Take a decent speed hard drive and grab a good enclosure with the ASmedia sata to usb 3.0 bridge / chip (there are others but this one seems to have the fewest issues..or at least the fewest for me). Avoid like the plague the JMicron garbage (have yet to see one with the JM even reach "meh" levels for me) and you will run into fewer issues.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 21, 2010, 06:57 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Best bang for your buck....THIS is the way to go. Take a decent speed hard drive and grab a good enclosure with the ASmedia sata to usb 3.0 bridge / chip (there are others but this one seems to have the fewest issues..or at least the fewest for me). Avoid like the plague the JMicron garbage (have yet to see one with the JM even reach "meh" levels for me) and you will run into fewer issues.

any more specifics.. brand ect?