Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 2, 2010, 03:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Intel Trim Function App

Anyone ever tried running the Trim function within Intel Tool box on a Vertex drive? The Vertex drive shows up in my Intel Tool Box....with this bugger it or is it even possible? Good one for AkG

Old September 2, 2010, 03:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

why not just use wiper.exe it does the same thing. i use it on all indilinx ssd
Old September 2, 2010, 03:20 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I dont think it works. Never had a reason to try. The wiper covers off Indi drives nicely and IS supported. Actually, id be very surprised if it did work.

The tool box feature is basically sending a special command that the Intel drive "listens" for and when it gets it...treats it as if it was the "real" trim command. Sort of like how the wiper.exe program works for indinlix drives ("amazing" how Intels does things almost EXACTLY the same way as Indi who had it out first. /whistle). So unless its the same code in both sets of firmware...... it aint going to work and the controller will just treat it as gibberish....assuming the software would even let you do it. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 2, 2010, 04:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ok....great, thanks guys. I've always just "periodically" left my Notebook on the Log-in screen to allow the Auto Trim function to do its thing with the Vertex Drive.....seems this was the way to do it for those drives.....so, wiper.exe is an application (available for download?) to manually run Trim on my Vertex? Pardon my ignorance but its been a long time since I've done any SSD homework..... ;)

Old September 2, 2010, 05:15 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

No real need to do more then what you are doing. Hell, 1.5 firmware is VERY mature and has a very nice and tweaked "ITGC" routines built in. Anytime the sys in not being used....even reading a long ass web page is long enough...its does some self cleaning. Wiper.exe is indeed downloadable from OCZ should be on their downloads support page. BUT the question is....do you need it?
Is your laptop running win 7. In achi mode w/ msachi or intel rst drivers? If yes to all three...you have REAL trim and no need for what amounts to an on demand ITGC (wiper is more like ITGC then trim per say....semantics I know ;) ) and you dont even need to let the sys idle as TRIM commands are being auto sent to your drive for you by the OS. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 2, 2010, 08:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks A
Yep everything is covered then (I researchd it pretty good n advice from you many months ago) and did flash the Vertex to 1.5, also W7, ahci mode and latest Intel Drivers....

btw...I did download and run wiper.exe.....then ran AS SSD Benchmark and scored about the same..so all is working fine.....yeah I'm a true geek I guess ..had to have two SSD's in my Notebook ;) (both have been excellent)......

.....I was just bored looking for something to do with my SSD's ;)