Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 20, 2010, 10:32 AM
Top Prospect

Default Get SSD or wait for Q4

Hey, I've been looking into SSDs for some time and I'm tempted to get finally get one.
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=53423&promoid=1146
That seems like a good deal (About $2/GB, cheapest I've seen for the newer Sandforce based SSDs) for such a high performance drive. Do you think I should get this or wait for Q4? Will the price then be lesser than the extreme deal of the day price now?

Thanks,
Pine.
Old August 20, 2010, 10:56 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Its a very good drive with the same caveats as all SF drives.
1) Win 7 == great performance. XP == no trim and thus not my first choice
2) hobbled firmware

These little SF's scale VERY well compared to their big bros. Expect only a couple seconds (at the most) dif between it at the Corsair 120.

YMMV....but at those prices the question isn't "why get it" but...."why would you not get it" ;)

Everything will be cheaper, faster, better, etc in 6mths time.....thats the nature of the beast. Get it now and enjoy it.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 20, 2010, 11:37 AM
Top Prospect

Yes sir!
Old August 20, 2010, 01:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Storage

Excellent price! You get this and you won't regret it oone bit. Look at it this way, in 6 months you may be able to get a bigger drive for say a gaming drive for a good price and your system will be even more awesome!

Oh, and btw, if you want to know anything about SSDs, AkG can answer them 4 u. He's helped me get the most out of mine. A lot of people on this site can help with just about any problems/issues you may have.

Enjoy the new drive!!!
Old August 20, 2010, 02:51 PM
Top Prospect

Well, I do have some questions.
I read that to get the most performance, some tweaks have to be done (Firmware, BIOS changes, etc).
Could you tell me which these are? Also, how do I know I'll get the performance advertised with my motherboard (P7P55D LE)?
Lastly, TRIM. I understand what TRIM does, and this drive supports TRIM and I'm running Windows 7. Does this mean it'll carry out the TRIM command automatically from time to time or do I have to do something?
Thanks.

Edit: Sold out, none for me. I'd still like to get answers to the above questions if possible though, for the future.
Thanks.

Last edited by Pine; August 20, 2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old August 20, 2010, 04:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

trim is automatic and tweaks are something that does not have to be done anymore but if you like the only one's that really matter are these and you don't "have to do any"
Windows 7 - Ultimate SSD Speed Tweaks

personal i am thinking about a revo drive http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...Z%20Technology

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...Z%20Technology

but they don't support trim but they may in the future

my2cents and i want change he he A good ssd is one of the best upgrades you can do Imho
Old August 20, 2010, 07:47 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks, that article is wonderful. The Revodrive seems blazing fast, but it's a bit out of my price range (I want to have some left for another 5850 for CrossfireX when they drop in price after the 6000 series comes out this November).
Guess I'll wait for another sale.
Old August 20, 2010, 09:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ya i know it's a bit pricey but after all the ssd i have tried the only ones pretty much left are sandforce and pci-e ssd cards so this kinda kills two birds with one stone for me probably only gonna grab the 50gb just as a main os/apps boot ssd then run other ssd/hdd for data and speed.
Old August 21, 2010, 08:37 AM
Rookie

Just wait a bit. SSDs are about to improve drastically

Old August 21, 2010, 09:43 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I doubt we are going to see night and day performance increase from gen 2 to gen 3
Intel loves to put out small incremental improvements.

My guess is they are going to increase the bottom end (4k) SLIGHTLY but the top end (sequential) a lot.
That way it can compete against SF and maybe the other new controllers on the horizon.

I also highly doubt they will be releasing a CHEAP high performance SSD anytime soon. The last 40 was purposely SLOW (only half the number of chips) and I doubt they will change the formula anytime soon.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr