Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 12, 2010, 03:37 PM
Rookie

Default New SSD drives

Hi,

I know I haven't posted much but I'm not really sure where to begin with SSDs.

I was just wondering what should I be looking for if I wanted to purchase an SSD to run my OS off of? I'm more looking for price/performance doesn't have to be blazing fast, as I'll just be upgrading from a WD640 Black so I assume any SSD should be quite a bit faster regardless.

Particular brands I should look at? Stay away from? Technology?

I think 60 gigs would be enough, and I keep seeing sandforce being thrown out and something about new and old technology with different generations of OCZ Vertex but I dunno what that means what impact that will make (if any).
Old August 12, 2010, 03:48 PM
Banned
F@H

the kingston v2's are not bad price performance wise.

whatever you get itll make quite the improvement in load times and the such. after your game loads, you probably wont see that much a difference vs your wd, i think.
Old August 12, 2010, 03:51 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I really recommend the one im using now, the intel x-25M 80GB. I'm not that knowledgeable on SSD, nor do i follow the news on them. But from personal experience i was looking for a drive that didn't destroy my wallet and could still perform admirably. I got mine for around 200$ at canadacomputers. Good luck on your purchase. Also when you get the drive, do a crystalmark test on it. Post it on these forums and check with people if the performance is natural for the drive.
"My brother is dead. He's not here Anymore. But on my back, and in my heart...He lives on in me. I will make a hole through heaven itself, even if that hole becomes my grave. As long as I break through, I will be victorious.Who the **** do you think I am?"
Old August 12, 2010, 03:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The OCZ Vertex 2 is the Sandforce based model. Either the Vertex or Vertex 2 will be a massive improvement over a 640 Black, at least I found it to be that way. Whether the speed increase is worth the $30 difference in price between them is your decision, not mine. :)

One caution: I've found that with my large Steam catalog, I wish I had gone with a 120 GB drive.
Old August 12, 2010, 04:46 PM
Rookie

I guess I should clarify

I already have my comp loaded up and stuff but I'm planning on doing a fresh install for school so I thought upping to an SSD would be cool to do as well :)

I'm mainly playing Starcraft 2 so... I don't need TOO much space, i figure I've got a 1.5tb and 640 gb drive so any other misc games that I want to play can go on there, only the regular ones on the SSD.

What is the difference between the SSD drives of each of the companies? Crucial, intel, kingston, and OCZ I guess is what I'm asking, there's a huge price variance between them is it worth it to go higher up in price or is the performance increase negligible?
Old August 12, 2010, 05:28 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

What is your price range and OS.

IF you are using Windows 7 you have more options
If you are using Xp/Vists/etc you need a good drive with GOOD "ITGC" (self maintenance routines).

The absolute best bang for your buck first time SSD has to be the Intel X25-M gen 2. Has great performance and the manual trim option in its toolbox means its good for XP as well as windows 7. That is IF you have two bills to spend.

Corsair has a new SF based 40GB coming out. (and yes this is a hint for all the regulars). Good first time drive for Win 7. Not so much for XP (less than optimal ITGC on ALL SandForce based drives). Should be very reasonably priced.

Another good option for "bang for buck" is the orginal Vertex 1. Good ITGC, fairly good price now. 60GB of space if 40gb is not enough. Good for XP or Win 7. Not as fast as the Intel BUT if 2 bills out side your comfort range....its a viable option.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 13, 2010, 06:52 AM
Rookie

I'm running Windows 7 64bit

Well in terms of price I'm willing to spend whatever but how much of a performance increase would I get from splurging on the intel as opposed to the vertex 1? Is it a reliability thing, one drive more likely to fail than another or ?
Old August 13, 2010, 07:03 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

All SSDs (with the exception of the 100/200 SF based ones...which have INSANE levels of over-provisioning and thus usually last even longer) will last a good long while.
The Intel is much faster then the Vertex 1 60GB at OS tasks. Its small 4k r/w speed simply blows the doors off the Indi 60's. 4K r/w speed is the most important number when it comes to picking a SSD for an OS. It is NOT the only one....but its a quick and dirty way of comparing. The only place the Intel will lose to the Indi is in large file transfer speed, such as game load times. BUT the dif will not be night and day. To get great low, mid and large file performance you have to step up to the Vertex 2. For a first time drive the Intel will be impressive. It is the one I would get if I was getting my first SSD. No need to spend twice the money UNLESS you want to. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; August 13, 2010 at 07:10 AM.
Old August 13, 2010, 08:03 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

i'm running the intel 80gb... with win7.. and i loaded SC2 on it.. and comparing load times with my friends, i'm glad I did it, but at the same time, I don't think I can ever run anything off a regular HDD. I'll probably end up buying a 2nd SSD for extra space for games/programs. I have win7, cities XL, and SC2.. and i have about 30ish gigs left of space. I've read that its good to leave some space open on the hdd, so i figure leaving about 15gb is decent. I still need to re-install adobe CS4 and MS Office, so you really gotta plan on how many games you'll want installed at once. If I don't get another SSD, I'll def. be uninstalling stuff often to make room for new games.
Old August 13, 2010, 08:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Intel G2 80GB working great for me for quite awhile now.....my Notebook is so much more snappier than my wifes new Notebook. The 120 GB Vertex has also been solid....as AKG has mentioned numerous times...a great and immediately noticeable upgrade to any System!!