Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 22, 2010, 10:46 AM
Rookie

OCZ will probably get the updated firmware faster than the mushkin or the corsair. TBH your best bet is to hold off a few months. New SSDs are coming in Q4 that will blow these away.
Old August 22, 2010, 11:04 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixsaint View Post
OCZ will probably get the updated firmware faster than the mushkin or the corsair. TBH your best bet is to hold off a few months. New SSDs are coming in Q4 that will blow these away.

I doubt it.
Will there be new ones that are faster? Probably. Will it be night and day difference that will "blow these away". THAT is doubtful. Like most things tech related...you need to skip a gen to see HUGE performance boosts.

When the newer ones hit they will be SATA 6gb/s BUT you need to look past sequential speed numbers. That number means almost jack. Look at the small 4k numbers. Right now under proper conditions you can see 80-90mb/s. Unless the new ones do 150MB/s...I doubt you will notice that big a dif in the real world as they are already eye ball bleeding fast.

YMMV

To the OP.
If you havent already got your drive. Get a Vertex 2 and enjoy. No need to worry about firmware making it slower and OCZ does indeed have a great support forum.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 22, 2010, 06:32 PM
Rookie

Sorry AKG but I think you missed the point,

The new SSDs WILL be faster, larger, and more affordable than the current selection and they are being released in the next few months. Even if you don't want a new generation ssd their release will still drive down the prices on the current lot. No one would buy an old generation vid card with new ones around the corner either. Bad time to buy.
Old August 22, 2010, 06:54 PM

My System Specs

I have my doubts on that as well. Next gen Intel drives are still going to be SATA 3Gbps so they definitely won't be going ground breaking increasing in performance. They'll mostly just lower the gap in write sequential write performance between the current X25-M and the Sandforce/C300 drives. Besides the next-generation Intel drives I don't think there are any other drives on the horizon.
Old August 22, 2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixsaint View Post
Sorry AKG but I think you missed the point,

The new SSDs WILL be faster, larger, and more affordable than the current selection and they are being released in the next few months. Even if you don't want a new generation ssd their release will still drive down the prices on the current lot. No one would buy an old generation vid card with new ones around the corner either. Bad time to buy.
Sorry but I think you are being overly optimistic. When the Gen 2's came out the Gen 1s disappeared VERY quick. SSDs are not GPU's. Retailers dont have massive stock onhand they need to "dump" to make room for the new kit. Hell MFG'ers themselves scale back production before a new gen is released so as to not have to slash their profit margins. More to the point, prices did indeed go down slightly on a price per GB bassis....but it didnt go down all that much nor all that quickly. It took a good year for them to get "reasonable". A year ago $150 got you a decent SSD (40GB). Now its 100-110 for a 40GB which is indeed faster but only 40 bucks less. That is not a huge decrease. On the high end things are even worse. The Vertex 120GB went for about 350 when it was released. The Vertex 2 120 goes for about 350 (as it is new) and the older Vertex (when it was still readily available) price dropped to about 3bills just before the v2 came out and then disappeared. Not a huge difference.

The biggest limiting factor to a magic massive price reduction is the cost of NAND. Most NAND is not good enough for high end SSDs. Most NAND isnt even good enough for ANY SSD. High performance NAND is expensive and is in great demand with demand exceeding production. Yes Intel and Micron are ramping up production as fast as they can but to expect that in 1Q or even 2 that the prices are going to drop enough to warrant holding off on buying one NOW is being overly optimistic. It will most likely take 3Q's for it to trickle down the pipeline to the customer and in a years time we will once again get bigger, faster, better for a bit better price.

EDIT
and just to be clear
When I say gen 1 or gen 2 or gen 3. I dont mean Intel. ;)
Gen 1 was JM crap.
Gen 2 was Intel/Indilinx barefoot/Samsung/Toshiba/JM new
Gen 3 ??? (though one can consider the SF drives a gen 3 as they do things differently wrt to cache, etc etc....or you can consider them a cross over "gen 2.5" drive)

Im personally waiting to see what Indilinx and their Jetstream will do...IF they ever release it. BUT I still like and buy SF as I am a firmbeliever that if you wait 6mths...everything will get faster and you will NEVER buy!

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; August 22, 2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old August 24, 2010, 09:38 AM
Banned

i bought the vertex 2 yesterday and it came in this morning. installed it on my asus g73jh laptop, quite fast!
Old August 24, 2010, 11:32 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I consider sandforce as generation 2.5.. anywho.

Even without the generation arguements, the entire "wait until the next greatest thing comes out" is over used. You can always wait for the newest thing to come out (infinite loop here) - but then you would be an early-adopter of new technology.. which it doesn't look like that's the OP purchasing trends. And face it.. technology is -not- a good investment.. no matter when you buy, it's going to depreciate, no matter the technology (computers, tv's, etc)

Cool to hear about the Vertex2.. it's a snappy drive.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old August 24, 2010, 01:10 PM
Top Prospect

I'm going to have to go ahead and recommend a Vertex 2.

However, if you're willing to go with a Gen 2 drive, there should be some awesome sales on the Vertex 1 60GB and Agility 1 60GB's very soon.
Old August 24, 2010, 02:50 PM

Congrats oksir. Hope you enjoy your shiny new toy for many, many years to come.
Though dont be too surprised if you start looking at you other systems and thinking of ways to justify ANOTHER ssd purchase for them :)~