Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 8, 2010, 11:32 AM
Rookie

Default 780G + SandForce = Need advice

Hi,

So I bought an OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, and I intend to use it on a ECS A780GM-A motherboard with Windows 7. I thought everything was fine until I read here that AMD drivers don't support TRIM, it seems to be some kind of problem with the default MS driver and the SandForce controler, and SandForce does not handle ITGC very well.

Am I totally screwed? Can this SSD work with an AMD chipset? Can I use TRIM? What driver should I use? What kind of maintenance procedure shall I adopt, if any? Do I risk ruining my new SSD?

Any advice on how to use a SandForce SSD on a AMD chipset is very welcome, I'm very confused right now.

Thanks...
Old August 8, 2010, 11:41 AM
F@H

My System Specs

We'll have to encourage AkG to comment on this as he's got some hands-on experience with sandforce on both intel and AMD chipset motherboards. My initial understanding is that sandforce does not play well at all on AMD chipsets.

Prior to Sandforce, AMD chipsets were still a bit of an issue as their drivers would not pass the trim command through (only intel chipset drivers currently do so Nvidia chipsets have the same problem), but a person was able to either leave the standard M$ ones in place, or in the case of non-trim OS like XP, set up the intel toolbox to run a weekly cleanup.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old August 8, 2010, 11:50 AM
Banned
F@H

last time i read about it, i think he said to stick with intel for performance.
Old August 8, 2010, 11:58 AM
Top Prospect

That does seem like a problem. Where did you buy it from, and what's the exact drive? Perhaps you can return it.
Old August 8, 2010, 12:18 PM
Rookie

My problem is I cannot returnt this drive. I spent a LOT of money in it, so I cannot afford to change my entire rig (motherborad / processor / memory) because of it. So I'm kinda stuck with this setup. If I can make it work in a way that wont damage the drive even if I lose some performance, maybe I can wait for some updates from OCZ / AMD.
Old August 8, 2010, 12:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teboga View Post
My problem is I cannot returnt this drive. I spent a LOT of money in it, so I cannot afford to change my entire rig (motherborad / processor / memory) because of it. So I'm kinda stuck with this setup. If I can make it work in a way that wont damage the drive even if I lose some performance, maybe I can wait for some updates from OCZ / AMD.
The drive will work fine for a long time without degradation of performance. Sandforce drives are very resilient compared to Gen1 SSD's

AkG can comment more/better on the topic, but I believe there is a 3rd party sandforce 'toolbox-like' program to manually trim out on the net.
Old August 8, 2010, 12:34 PM
Top Prospect

Try to sell it here. I mean, it is new in box and just recently bought. Maybe somebody will be kind enough to take it off your hands for a fair price. The drive will inevitably degrade over time without TRIM (although I'm sure there are ways to lessen the impact you have on the drive), and waiting for updates is always a tricky game to play. So my suggestion is to try to sell it if you can't return it. Lastly, there was a time when it wasn't the standard that SSD's support TRIM. They're still much faster than HDD's, and they don't just ear out instantly, so keep that in mind.
Old August 8, 2010, 02:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd suggest getting in touch with OCZ. They should be able to help you out.
Old August 9, 2010, 04:10 AM
Rookie

Worst case scenario I could sell the drive, but I really don't want to do that. I'm going to try and contact OCZ, as suggested by jdrom17, and see what they have to say.

I'm also wating for AkG suggestion in here :)
Old August 9, 2010, 04:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

worst case scenario - USE the drive. TRIM isn't necessary.. and you got a good drive.