Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 12, 2010, 06:27 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Sorry nope. Didnt even see it. Thats what I get for only pannin' and scannin'.

Reading through the discretpion. It looks to be the closest I have seen to what is needed. Just two down sides.....it nukes anything and everything on the drive in the process of the 30minute test. The other catch is you obviously cant run it on your OS drive....while using it as your OS drive. You need to run it from a "c" drive on a data only drive. Since damn near all peeps run their SSD as their OS drive....it does have a bit of pita factor. In a couple days (to a week depends on how busy I get) I got some down time and IF things go according to plan I will give it a shot on a AMD 890 GB mobo I got here. Will run it....then fix the drive. Run cdm, get it dirty and then rerun CDM.....then we will know one way or another. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 12, 2010, 11:27 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

we really need to harass AMD to get their shiat together regarding this. Its friggin august 2010 and they dont have TRIM support in their drivers?!?!?! what a joke of a company, i say we all email em and put the pressure on em to get w/ the times.

by the way, does this problem also effect the crucial c300 64gb? Its the newer micron controller, and it relies heavily on trim to keep its performance up, so would that mean im totally screwed w/ this SSD since TRIM wont work properly w/ my AMD chipset??
Desktop: 4790k @ 4.6GHZ | Noctua NH-D14 | 16GB (2x8gb) Crucial Ballistex @ CL9 | Asrock Z97 OC Formula | Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI | 250gb Samsung 840 Evo & 240gb OCZ Vertex 3 MI & 2TB WD Black | Auzentech Forte 7.1 | Seasonic 760wt Platinum | DELL U2711 @ 1440p | Corsair 300R | Win 8.1
Ultrabook: Zenbook UX32LN | i5 4200u | 8GB RAM | Nvidia 840m | IPS Matte @ 1080p | 256GB SSD | Win8.1

Last edited by poohbear; August 12, 2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old August 12, 2010, 06:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
by the way, does this problem also effect the crucial c300 64gb? Its the newer micron controller, and it relies heavily on trim to keep its performance up, so would that mean im totally screwed w/ this SSD since TRIM wont work properly w/ my AMD chipset??
From what we've discussed in the previous posts, no one 100% knows. Apparently some people say (myself included) that the standard Win7 ATA drivers work and trim, and others say they dont.

"Try it, test it, and see" is the general answer. Or wait for AkG to do it for you...
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old January 1, 2011, 09:42 AM
Rookie

Greetings everyone and happy new year..

This thread has been really helpful for me in trying to account for the behaviour of my Corsair F60GB drive, on a 780G/SB700 chipset...
The degradation in performance was much obvious within a couple of days after installing win7 x64 and with very, very relaxed usage...
With MS ahci driver I have now some indications that TRIM is actually functioning, but the recovery is very slow and slow to start...actually I don't know if it was TRIM or built-in GC that operated.

My questions had begun with AMD drivers (unfortunately I did not save screenshots) and my drive showed similar performance degradation rates (the AMD drivers did give me better scores both in the beginning and after degradation) with the MS drivers...I had installed the latest available from AMD, just a week ago.
Given that with these drivers TRIM does not work, or does not work on chipsets previous to the 800 series, my initial hypothesis - given that performance deterioration rates were almost identical - was that TRIM did not work with any of them...

I read in these forums that the GC policy implemented by Sandforce is quite mild, which is the only adequately explanatory proposition I've come across up to this point, and now I've got some confidence that I can go on using the drive without worrying to much about the issue

I have made some tests, but I wouldn't like to copy them all here...if it isn't too much trouble, you could take a look at my thread over in silentpcreview

This is just to say thanks and maybe provide some indicative bench results
Old January 1, 2011, 09:44 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Greetings everyone and happy new year..

This thread has been really helpful for me in trying to account for the behaviour of my Corsair F60GB drive, on a 780G/SB700 chipset...
The degradation in performance was much obvious within a couple of days after installing win7 x64 and with very, very relaxed usage...
With MS ahci driver I have now some indications that TRIM is actually functioning, but the recovery is very slow and slow to start...actually I don't know if it was TRIM or built-in GC that operated.

My questions had begun with AMD drivers (unfortunately I did not save screenshots) and my drive showed similar performance degradation rates (the AMD drivers did give me better scores both in the beginning and after degradation) with the MS drivers...I had installed the latest available from AMD, just a week ago.
Given that with these drivers TRIM does not work, or does not work on chipsets previous to the 800 series, my initial hypothesis - given that performance deterioration rates were almost identical - was that TRIM did not work with any of them...

I read in these forums that the GC policy implemented by Sandforce is quite mild, which is the only adequately explanatory proposition I've come across up to this point, and now I've got some confidence that I can go on using the drive without worrying to much about the issue

I have made some tests, but I wouldn't like to copy them all here...if it isn't too much trouble, you could take a look at my thread over in silentpcreview

This is just to say thanks and maybe provide some indicative bench results
Here is the link to my thread over at silentpcreview (I could not embed a link with my first post, sorry)
Old January 14, 2011, 06:58 AM
Rookie

Behardware website reports that they have tested the latest (december) version of the AMD drivers and they found TRIM to be supported both with Indilinx and Sandforce SSDs...
Same goes for the latest version of the Marvell drivers for the its sata chipsets...

This seems to contradict other reports about TRIM support in the latest AMD drivers...