Old August 3, 2010, 12:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
LOLOLOL alright then.

you guys have fun.

"sleep mode" lol - like there's no way to disable THAT is there.
There is a way to disable it but even with it off the drive is still no fast as a black since green are 5400RMP ( even if listed as 7200 ).

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old August 3, 2010, 01:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inate8 View Post
Reliably? Not that I have found to be consistent among the WD20EARS. You have some new information?
well mine doesn't seem to shut off.. so.. yes? Unless there's something I'm missing. Either way I recommended the barracuda LP's for a reason. I have 3 x 1.5 TB ones and they work fantastic.

and the samsung drives, according to a quick google search, are also 5400RPM, martin. and WD black's are much more then $130 each. so.. rock on?
Old August 3, 2010, 01:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
well mine doesn't seem to shut off.. so.. yes? Unless there's something I'm missing. Either way I recommended the barracuda LP's for a reason. I have 3 x 1.5 TB ones and they work fantastic.

and the samsung drives, according to a quick google search, are also 5400RPM, martin. and WD black's are much more then $130 each. so.. rock on?

Ok first it's time for you to learn about the WD sleep mode. Leave the disk un used for a little time, then acces it back, there will be a little delay before the disk will open that you don't have on most of the other drive. This is because the head is going back at the idle position. The samsung is not doing that, making it faster and better for raid when compared to a WD Caviar green.
I also never tell the Caviar black would be cheaper but a good alternative. Since they are faster it's normal the price is higher compare to the Samsung one.
FInally, I spend my whole day fixing computer and the experience told me never to trust those LP drive because they have high rate of failure. They are also, like all seagate drive, doing a lot of noise. Especially the 7200.11.

Martin_metal_88

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old August 3, 2010, 02:03 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
There is a way to disable it but even with it off the drive is still no fast as a black since green are 5400RMP ( even if listed as 7200 ).
you cant do the trick on all drives, some only allow you to increase the parking meter time, others dont allow you crap all :p

like i said before, if you run linux isos or something that writes/reads to disk all the time theyre super perfect.
Old August 3, 2010, 02:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
you cant do the trick on all drives, some only allow you to increase the parking meter time, others dont allow you crap all :p

like i said before, if you run linux isos or something that writes/reads to disk all the time theyre super perfect.
That's why they are a perfect network dump or storage drive:P no sound no heat then use it few min to transfert data and leave itę come back to the total silence WD green provide.

Martin_metal_88

Old August 3, 2010, 02:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
Ok first it's time for you to learn about the WD sleep mode. Leave the disk un used for a little time, then acces it back, there will be a little delay before the disk will open that you don't have on most of the other drive. This is because the head is going back at the idle position. The samsung is not doing that, making it faster and better for raid when compared to a WD Caviar green.
I also never tell the Caviar black would be cheaper but a good alternative. Since they are faster it's normal the price is higher compare to the Samsung one.
FInally, I spend my whole day fixing computer and the experience told me never to trust those LP drive because they have high rate of failure. They are also, like all seagate drive, doing a lot of noise. Especially the 7200.11.
I've not noticed much difference with the WD green drive and sleep mode. it's a low power and green drive for a flippin' reason anyways. I know of the technology, but at least on the windows side you can disable most of the sleeping functions. not the core stuff, but that sleep mode that matters most. (IMO) REGARDLESS, none of the green or eco drives are good for RAID, but I still think Seagate is the best of the greens.

and you must still hate the deathstars and by that coin, Hitachi then too eh? Seagate has an issue with some of the green drives, the 1.5 TB ones in particular it seems (probably due to the popularity of that size earlier on). the ones I have ironically. But the Caviar Greens (among the others) in particular have their fair share of failures too. It might be less then Seagate but it's still there. I don't see though, how you can recommend pairing a WD black and say it's "perfect and will run like your samsung." .. the black will be vastly more superior then the samsung, also at $40 more per drive. I thought the OP was trying to save the dollars?

maybe i'm nuts.
Old August 3, 2010, 04:06 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Can you clarify how the Black is "vastly superior" to the samsung?
Old August 3, 2010, 04:59 PM
Rookie

I had a slight change of plans. NCIX had a surprise sale of Samsung 1.5TB ecogreens for $75. I figured with the 2TB one I already have and 4 of those 1.5TB, I can make a 8TB single volume with the SATA controller I have coming from here
five sata port hardware raid bridge offer level 0, 10, 5 and JBOD

Interesting thread nonetheless.
Old August 3, 2010, 07:16 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I've been able to disable WDidle on my 2tb ears bought on early july. These drive were used in a raid 1 array until the server's mobo died.. I also tried to run 'em in raid 5 to figure out if this could work in software raid without TLer, and I got no problem so far. But 2TB drives in raid 5 with a 500GB HD are kind of a waste..
Old August 3, 2010, 07:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by odis172 View Post
Can you clarify how the Black is "vastly superior" to the samsung?
5400 rpm vs 7200 rpm spindle speed. access times are much faster, even data transfer speed is faster. the samsung drive is low power (eco)

vastly is an exaggeration though, but the blacks are superior.