Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 31, 2010, 07:52 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default ssd issue

so my friend bought a new SSD, kingston 128 gb gen II and he would like to get it to work, except when he installs it, it will not work concurrently with his SATA WD 500gb hard drive which still has windows 7 on it, as the SATA drive is not showing up when he tries to install. Isn't it weird that it won't recognize...? Although the drive does show when the SSD is removed...they just won't work together!

help would be greatly appreciated.

ASUS ROG Maximus III Formula
Intel i5 750
Corsair Dominator 1600 4gb
Sapphire Radeon Toxic 5850 2gb
Coolermaster 600w P/S
WD 500 HDD
128 GB Kingston Gen II SSD
Old July 31, 2010, 08:16 PM
Rookie

i am the friend.

i would really appreciate the help.

its weird. I assumed - and i havent changed an HDrive in a rediculous time so who knows - that i could plug in the SSD alongside the old WD and drop in my win7 disk. I planned to format the WD and put windows on the SSD. sounds so easy!

Last edited by Damaen; July 31, 2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old July 31, 2010, 08:53 PM
Banned
F@H

drop ssd in, install your os, drop 500 giger in, take command of it(maybe erase the old os) and go forth.
Old July 31, 2010, 08:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

And no need to make 2 threads.
Old July 31, 2010, 08:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yup only put the ssd in when installing 7 then add the hd later like dan has said
Old July 31, 2010, 09:02 PM
Rookie

i was thinking about doing that but my fear was i couldnt get them both to work and that i have no idea how to live on a 128gig hard drive. =]

i am installing on ssd now, rather i will in a second when i am done typing, but if anyone knows, what is the reason for this conflict?

does it matter than the WD NEVER EVER shows up in BIOS when i have the SSD connected? Thats what scares me.

EDIT FOR EXTRA INFO

i am tech handy not enthusiast knowledgable... my Formula mobo, i have 2 SATA_HDD ports which i have the 2 HDDs connected to when i try them, i have the two OCC-SATA ports for optical drives which my dvdr is on, and i have like, 6 more SATA ports on the side for i guess, raid. Seems like i have that all right...
Old July 31, 2010, 09:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

you want to use the sats ports facing the sideway ( most likely there sata from your southbridge chipset ) and ya it's a little weird that it's not seen but i had a issue just yesturday by have more then one drive in the damn system, it's really just annoying. just do your setup then install all your drivers the turn it off install other hd then reboot just make sure you don't format the hdd and your safe.
Old July 31, 2010, 11:19 PM
Banned
F@H

when in doubt over an install unplug phisically all other media but what you need. this way no way in heck and back youll wipe a drive and or partition by mistake
Old August 1, 2010, 07:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Always good advice
Old August 1, 2010, 10:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have a question, how do you figure out which sata plugins are north and or southbridge chipsets ,also would this make the drives run faster or better if both the ssd and the 500gb drives are running on seperate chipsets?.
I ask this becasue I have a simular setup only my ssd is 64gb