Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 1, 2010, 11:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well normally the chipset sata plugins will have more "plugins" or you can check MB book for what is what. but yes sometimes the secondary ports can run slower but not normally.

normally the spare ports are just run off of a controller chip on the motherboard (jmicron)
Old August 2, 2010, 09:43 AM
Rookie

ah, heh. your right; the 2 spd_hdd ports i am using are JMicron JMB363, while the side ports are Intel P55 SATA Connectors. So go with the P55 SATA?

the come in pairs, for RAID i assume, if i drop in my WD drive i just have to make sure they arent paired in the same groupings? or will it not matter because they are obviously radically different drives.

until this weekend i have never thought much about harddrives. flashy thigns always steal my energy. so much to know.

btw, the SSD is running, and its so much better. Windows snaps to attention, and things like starcraft 2 arent even the same games. thanks!
Old August 8, 2010, 04:38 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I have an ASUS Rampage and I found that the setup in the bios can be very finicky with multiple drives (I have 4/s ssds) The first thing I did was checked in Win7 administrative tools and it was there so I formatted it but it would not boot at all once recognized. I then had to play around with the boot order in bios. My boot, for some reason has to be set for my WD drive as the primary boot for the ssd drive to boot. Its actually a pretty common thing with ASUS mobos from what I read.

Old August 14, 2010, 01:03 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Just like stated before, a clean start is best when it comes to SSDs.

Put OS on the SSD, install 500GB after and use that for storing junk.