Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 30, 2010, 06:54 PM
Rookie

Default SSD without TRIM

Are there any ssd with good internal garbage collection ? with sandforce controller maybe?

Still running XP...
Old July 30, 2010, 07:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i am pretty sure sandforce has itgc does it not. em em akg well. ha ha
Old August 4, 2010, 09:38 PM
Rookie

To anyone who was wondering, it seems that using an ssd without TRIM command is not a good idea whatever the brand. All hardware based drive clean up is poor and lacking. I was hoping that sandforce driven ssd were better but it is not the case.
Old August 5, 2010, 06:36 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Actually, it can be a good idea for certain situations. TRIM takes overhead and can take up precious controller cycles while you are using the system (there is no "wait" option). Whereas "ITGC" does it when you are not using the ssd. I know I ran 1.31 (extremely aggressive itgc version) on my Agility EX SLC SSD for a looooong time as there was a noticeable dif. Another area is RAID. Right now RAID still means no trim. :(

The key to successful ITGC is you have to chose your SSD wisely. Indilinx has great self maintenance routines. Intel....does not. SF....has terrible routines. JM612 has VERY aggressive ITGC. Toshiba has good ITGC. Pick the right SSD and you are laughing.

Of course a point in Intel and Indilinx's favour is the Intel SSD Toolbox and manual optimizer option for Intel and wiper.exe for Indi. Both of these do a manual TRIM. Do it once a week and you need not worry about ITGC eating all your cell life, nor worry about getting into a degraded state.

IF rumors are correct (and NO idea TBH) SF(or atleast OCZ) may have something up their sleeve give SandForce drives the same option. :)

But for right now Indi or Intel is how I would go IF I was running XP.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 8, 2010, 03:34 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Check out the OWC drives which are designed on the SandForce controller for Apple computer without TRIM. I reviewed their RE version and am just working on a review with their second drive...

First post here... Didnt know this place existed... Hi all.

Old August 8, 2010, 06:31 AM

The OWC drives do NOT get special firmare "for apple computer without TRIM" which have improved ITGC. They did recently pay for the unlocked firmware so they will perform the same as OCZ Vertex 2...but saying they have better self maintenance routines then other nonOWC branded SF drives is foolish. Just because they stick a apple sticker on it and called it a "Raid Edition" does not magically make it so. IF SandForce had improved their "ITGC" it would be on ALL their SF drives as this is one of their biggest weaknesses and they know it. Hell even if they were that short sighted you can be damn sure OCZ would have it as well and be making a BIG deal out of its improvements over the competition.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 8, 2010, 07:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

so which is the best SSD to run in XP?

Kingston SSDnow GenII? (Jmicron 618)
Kingston SSDnow V+ (Toshiba)

Or whatever Indilinx I can find?

I'm in the same bag, I need to upgrade the family rig on the CHEAP, don't want to go Win7 on it yet.
I want a maintenance-free SSD in XP. Is it even possible?

I need automated, as it's not my computer anymore...ITGC I need!
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old August 13, 2010, 11:58 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hmm, why not just upgrade to Win7 ?
Old August 14, 2010, 05:50 AM

The V+ uses a JM618 controller built by Toshiba. The V uses a JM612.
The 618 is an improved version. Much better results with it then the regular V. So if it comes down to those two get the V+.

I'd probably take a Vertex 1 (or other Indi variant) over any JM controller though. Their ITGX is not as aggressive as JMs BUT still effective. ;)

Old August 14, 2010, 01:36 PM
Rookie

Update: I have finally decided to get the ocz vertex 96gb. It has a good amount of space, very close to to the 128gb model in terms of performance and I won't have to flash it to 1.6 firmware.

I'm also pleased with ocz website regarding this product. Excellent support on getting it set up and tweaked.

Thanks AkG you have been most helpful.