Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 29, 2010, 10:03 PM
MVP

Default 2 small or 1 larger SSD

Hello, I am finishing my build and storage is the last item.

I am still learning about computers so please bare with me.

I am wondering if putting OS - Ubuntu- and VM on 1 SSD and Cad, Blender, Gimp etc on 2nd SSD, with WD Black for working drive a Good Set-up or just use 1 SSD. OCZ vertex ii 's - $175 -60GB - $335 - 120 so price is close enough to even.

My reasoning is OS updates are left to just one drive, simplify back-ups.

Please inform me if I have a wrong understanding

My system so far; Gigabyte GA 790-XTA UD4
Athlon II X4 635
Mushkin Blackline 1600 2x 2GB
XFX Radeon HD 5770
Seasonic X 650
WD Green 1 & 2 TB
all going in octTower
Old July 29, 2010, 10:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i use a similar setup for my computer and it seems to work fine.

SSD's for boot array, data and programs on 1TB Drives respectively
Old July 30, 2010, 05:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Storage

I would consider getting the larger drive. I had a 60 gb and used over half on a fresh install using it for the OS. As AkG points out, you should leave at least 10 % free to minimize wear on the cells. That way with the 120, you will have plenty of space for updates,... without killing the drive prematurely. With any luck AkG will see this thread and make his suggestion. He is the guru of SSDs at HWC.
Old July 30, 2010, 06:31 AM
MVP

[quote=fishingfanatic;409611]I would consider getting the larger drive. I had a 60 gb and used over half on a fresh install using it for the OS. As AkG points out, you should leave at least 10 % free to minimize wear on the cells.

Thanks, with ubuntu my present size is 14.8GB plus how much the VM will take the 60GB would be less than half I am thinking. Programs on the other SSD. My /home would be on the Black.
Old July 30, 2010, 06:47 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I usually always say get the single biggest, fastest SSD you can afford.
While I was at one time very, very proficient with Unix those days are long in the past. IIRC latest Linux builds have TRIM so that negates most of the need of multiple drives (as at one point it would be: boot into windows and clean the other drive). BUT that is my understanding. IF i am wrong and their is still no TRIM support....get two as it would be a no brainer. Otherwise get the one. The one big will be faster then the smaller ones (100 - 128gb range is the sweet spot still for speed) and may work out to be the same cost wise. :)

10% is the min I recommend to leave free, but there is no hard and fast rule. Basically, the more free cells, the more room wear leveling has to work....the longer the drive will last. So it is in your own best interest to leave as much as you can free (without being stupid about it and having like 95% free! :P ).

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr