Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 29, 2010, 09:54 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default How to make sure the Intel Gen2 SSD drive is completely clean?

Hey guys;
I am moving my dad's Intel Gen2 SSD from an nVidia based mobo to an Intel mobo with AHCI. I know that Trim was not enabled on the nVidia system. The Intel SSD saw slow performance on the nVidia system.

What should I do to make sure the Intel SSD is completely cleaned for the new setup? My assumption is that there is lots of junk on the SSD now, so I would like to make sure the drive is as much like new as possible for the new setup.

We don't plan to keep the data on the drive now, and will do a fresh install of Win7.

Thanks! Any quick advice is appreciated!

Chris
Fold for team #54196
Old July 29, 2010, 10:03 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

In theory a quick format in a TRIM capable envrionement should do the trick (set the drive as a d drive and nuke it type thing).

But an easier way AND If you want to be sure its clean is to run the manual SSD Optimizer in Intel's Toolbox. It is basically Intel's answer to Indi's wiper.exe. That will clean it. IF it takes a nice couple minutes (or longer) you were right and the drive was dirty. :)

After that....you never need run it again as TRIM will be in full effect.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 29, 2010, 10:07 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Awesome AkG...just what I wanted to hear! My dad is thankful.

Chris
Fold for team #54196