Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 29, 2010, 10:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

you'll be happy any raid i have every run gets crushed by almost any ssd the sandforce is going to kill it have fun. I think ssd are pretty much a mandatory part now.imho
Old July 29, 2010, 10:05 AM
Top Prospect

So do you think I should go with the price matched 60GB or the 40GB? I'm pretty much set on sandforce now :D
Old July 29, 2010, 10:08 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
So do you think I should go with the price matched 60GB or the 40GB? I'm pretty much set on sandforce now :D
I am in the same boat. I personally don't think the 40g is big enough. I think i am gonna go with the 60g

by the way this thread helped me alot. Thanks!
Old July 29, 2010, 10:23 AM
Top Prospect

I'm going to go with the 60GB too. It's even a bit cheaper/GB when price matched.
Thanks to all you guys!
Old July 29, 2010, 12:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i personally love the 40GB Intel SSD's. I use them in my boot array (5 SSD's in a raid 5 array) i then load all my programs on one of the 1TB Sata 3 drives i have.
Old July 29, 2010, 12:47 PM
Top Prospect

I looked at a couple of Intel's SSD's, but the 40GB models are a bit more than the $110 OCZ drive, while seemingly a bit slower. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, though.
I'm planning to load Windows 7 and several games onto the SSD, and I think some applications (Browser, MSN) and I was wondering if I can get iTunes on to the SSD without storing the music on the SSD (I prefer to let iTunes organize it for an easy reinstall).
I want to get iTunes on the SSD so I can start it up quickly at will, but I don't want to store my music there because I have a lot. Will iTunes still load up quickly, or will the music being on a different drive hold iTunes back?
Old July 29, 2010, 12:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

so can't you just change the directory " file destination"
Old July 29, 2010, 01:00 PM
Top Prospect

Yea, I can change where iTunes organizes and stores my music to, but will iTunes load up fast if the music is not on the SSD but iTunes itself is installed on the SSD? I'm pretty new to the SSD scene and somewhat of a newb.

Edit: I benched my 2x WD Caviar Blacks in my RAID 0 setup, and the numbers I got are a bit ridiculous. If this is correct, I won't see much improvement with the SSD, will I? I think I would see huge improvement, it's strange. I've attached a results file for ATTO Disk benchmark (.bmk). Just open it with ATTO disk benchmark: (techPowerUp! :: Download ATTO Disk Benchmark v2.34).

Edit 2: Just in case you don't want to get ATTO, the results for the 8192.0 were about 232mb/s and 245mb/s.
I can take a screenshot too if you want, or you can just get the attached results file for ATTO Dis Benchmark.
It seems highly unlikely that I get such insane speeds out of 2 Western Digital Caviar Blacks in RAID 0.

Edit 3: I don't know, seems highly unlikely that ATTO is incorrect. If it is correct, I'll basically be seeing no performance increase? NCIX.com - Buy OCZ Vertex 96GB 2.5IN SATA 2 Indilinx Solid State Disk Flash Drive Ssd - OCZSSD2-1VTX96G In Canada. seems alright, the indilinx controller does kill the sustained write speeds though (100mb/s vs 250mb/s), but that probably isn't important to me. It's also 50k IOPS on the sandforce vs 17k IOPS on the indilinx, once again I'm not sure how important that is.
So it's between the 60GB and the 96GB, BUT I don't even know if I'll be seeing a performance increase with what ATTO has told me.

So I'm still conflicted as to whether I'll be seeing a performance increase over my 245mb/s read and 235mb/s write speeds from my WD Black 500GB RAID0 setup when I get an SSD, even one of the higher end ones.
Maybe it's more than the max read and writes, and SSD's are for the small reads such as booting into an OS or loading up apps and games. I'm just not sure if an SSD will show me much performance increase...
Still need help.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 2xWDblackRAID0pine.zip (380 Bytes, 4 views)

Last edited by Pine; August 3, 2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old August 14, 2010, 01:00 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

YES!!

Get a SSD atleast for the boot-OS drive for sure.

Im thinking about grabbing a Vertex 2 myself.
Old August 14, 2010, 10:42 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Sequentially the SSD won't be any different than your RAID0 setup, but in 4K performance and access times, that's where it shines. Which has more of an impact on daily performance, unless for some profound reason you constantly do massive sequential reads and writes.