Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 26, 2010, 08:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default HDD Making Noise?

Tonight, I noticed that my hard drive is making some noise under load, and it's not the hard drive load sound which is usually fairly quiet. The noise is quite audible and its fairly consistent. Could it be clicking and dying a slow death? It doesn't seem to make a clicking noise like it does in those YouTube videos, but it is making a noise.

Or could it be a fan dying? Cus I could hear the soft hard drive noise behind the louder sound.
Old July 26, 2010, 08:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

If its the drive you show in your specs it could be slowly going south. A friend had two of those die in less than 3 months.
Old July 26, 2010, 09:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That's the drive.

I checked with HD Tune and SMART reports that the drive is fine. Loaded it up with some error checking and there was no noise. There's no noise right now as I type this either.
Old July 26, 2010, 09:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Have you moved your case lately? Could something as simple as a screw loose.
Old July 26, 2010, 09:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Couple days ago yea, but not today.

The drive model I got is WD1002FAEX. Heard there was a bad batch according to a post at NCIX. I wonder if your friend and I got the unlucky batch...
Old July 26, 2010, 09:43 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Can you record the sound the drive is making and upload it? If not, can you describe it in more detail? It's difficult to diagnose a problem like this without more information.
Old July 26, 2010, 11:12 PM
Banned
F@H

if it was a green and ya had an immense parking violation id say ok, but this one? take it out,if you can,put it in another puter and stress it out for a few days straight. if it gives up the soul while in there? even better
Old July 27, 2010, 04:12 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Its really had to figure out harddrive problems, because really all you can do is rma them if its a mechanical prob. I had two of my drives go a year ago now, such a pain. All i can tell you is that if you have any files that you really want to keep on there back them up NOW! i got caught trying to fix my drives and while i was trying different programs they died. just backup everything you want and then mess around with them for as long as you want.. lol ... don`t make the same mistake that i did.. best of luck with your drive..
Old July 27, 2010, 04:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Can you record the sound the drive is making and upload it? If not, can you describe it in more detail? It's difficult to diagnose a problem like this without more information.
I would if I could, but the sound doesn't come consistently. Might be just that the hard drive is making more sound now when its under load or seeking random sectors or whatever. I remember my old hard drives used to make this kinda sound.

I'll definitely back em up... Once I figure out how.