Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 22, 2010, 12:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default SSD for OS only?

Hey, putting together options for a new build, and I'm wondering if there would be any benefit to dropping Win7 on a 64GB SSD, and running all other installed files off a standard HDD. (Games, etc.) The reason I ask, is my budget is simply not going to allow for a huge volume of SSD storage. But I could get away with a decent 64GB (Thinking of the Kingston SSDNow V Series for $90) for the OS if it'll show me a half decent performance increase.

Basically, I know that running games and stored media off a secondary drive would eliminate the benefit of read/write on SSD. But I'm wondering if the extra speed on swap files and OS access would still be enough to give me a noticeable performance bump? (I don't care about Windows load time so much, so don't bother mentioning it.)

*EDIT* I know this is a googlable ( <-- is that a word?) subject; but everything I could find seemed to be guesses, assumptions, and theory. I haven't found anything concerning hands on experience except on people using ONLY SSD.
Old July 22, 2010, 12:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I think you'll find that the great majority of folks who are running SSDs (myself included) are using them as OS drives as you described. Boot times are the biggest benefit.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 22, 2010, 12:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well i've done something a bit different or unique. What i do is i have my OS off of my SSD, and some standard programs (like vlc, firefox) all installed onto it. Massive programs that i wont be running for long term i keep installed on my surrogate hard drive. I then have steam installed on the ssd, with a few games on it. Whenever i download a new game it goes to my ssd as i typically want to play it. Games that i am not currently playing i do not delete, instead i move them over to my surrogate hard drive as it frees up space and makes it so i dont have to download the game every time i want to play it after 'deleting it'.
Old July 22, 2010, 12:59 PM
MVP
F@H

^^ Thats the best way to do it. I just run BC2 on my SSD and all the other games are running off my HDD
Old July 22, 2010, 01:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Storage

Hi bud. Here's what to do. Pm AkG, the resident guru of SSDs. Tell him I mentioned talking to you so he knows why you would be pming him. He will fill you in on all the info you could want. Including how to maximize efficiency and other tweaks to keep your drive running good longer. If he gets snarly, which he never does, hehe, tell him after you get through basic you'll direct some traffic his way, APV, tank,... You are going for communications aren't you?
Old July 22, 2010, 02:17 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfanatic View Post
Hi bud. Here's what to do. Pm AkG, the resident guru of SSDs. Tell him I mentioned talking to you so he knows why you would be pming him. He will fill you in on all the info you could want. Including how to maximize efficiency and other tweaks to keep your drive running good longer. If he gets snarly, which he never does, hehe, tell him after you get through basic you'll direct some traffic his way, APV, tank,... You are going for communications aren't you?
Poor AkG. It seems that this is the recommendation everytime and SSD thread pops up. There are plenty threads/people on these forums that can answer any SSD questions.

Now to answer the thread starter's questions. Putting the OS and as many applications as you can on the SSD is a great overall system performance boost. Games do benefit from SSD's but not nearly so much as other applications. You'll see maybe a few second decrease in load times for most games. Although VLC & Firefox are tiny applications, you will see next to no increase in performance w/ them. The majority of the time VLC takes to load will be the media it is accessing. W/ Firefox you launch the application once and keep it open for the remainder of the day.

SSD 'tweaks' is a debatable thing. Same goes w/ the page file. But you can see it discussed here.
SSD Tweaks