Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 16, 2010, 07:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

You don't need to defrag a drive as often anymore as you used to.. its really unnecessary.

What you do with that machine and the hardware you have.. not gonna be able to get that much more speed.
Old July 16, 2010, 07:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

More memory and faster memory if your moutherbord will support it. If you are using WIN 7 32 Bit no more than 4 GB. If if WIN 7 64 bit ass much as you wnt to put in and as fast as you can aford. and still suported by moutherboard.

Win 7 32 bit only suports up to 4 GB of memory.
Old July 16, 2010, 07:31 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

For your needs. A SSD would bring a speed boost. BUT I dont think it would be money well spent.
+1 to everyones recommendations FIRST. Get more ram. Defrag, clean up the crap that accumulates with time in the OS (nuke and start from scratch is the easiest way) and THEN if the system is still not peppy enough think about dropping a cheap'ish SSD into it.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 16, 2010, 08:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Storage

Agree with everyone here. The only thing that might help is more/faster ram. At least without spending a ridiculous sum of money for a small amt of gain.
Old July 17, 2010, 06:49 AM
Rookie

Try the extra RAM.
SSD's do increase load times of even applications (heck, why then are there benchmarks of SSD drives with application load times?), but that being said the types of programs that you are loading you would most likely see a negligible increase

ssd's are incredibly fast and the boot times are substantially quicker
(on a netbook [atom processor] the windows boot logo with the moving progress bar at the bottom of the screen just is drawn and moves on with a SSD drive as the main OS drive WHILE booting with a regular 7200rpm mechanical drive has the windows boot logo on screen for quite a few seconds)

note: this is just one example (the netbook example)
I have SSD's on much higher end systems and the reference to increased application load time was referring to the higher end systems
Old July 17, 2010, 10:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

the first thing I would do is get rid of Norton that thing eats huge amounts of memory if you don't want to get rid of it then just go to services and put anything that say norton to manual. out of all the antivirus out there Norton slows down your computer the most.
most of the time you don't need your anti virus , the only times to have antivirus running is when you have downloaded a file then you scan it with your anti virus or anti malware program oh and of course you need it running to update it. also just to keep the least amount of process's running.
as for an SSD I bought one thinking that I would see huge increases in boot times and software loading up but to be honest the speed differences for me personally where and are not worth the price. on paper they look great but in reality don't bother. I find it funny that on the OCZ web site they have all of the recommended tweak to do once you install an SSD but even with out an SSD installed and you did most ( not all of them)them you would see improvements.
when I used to use XP all of the time , I had to have only 17 running process's and I have to say my computer was allot faster then compared to now even with my SSD installed . as it is now I have an average of no less the 40 process's running but I also am using windows 7 x64 with eight GB ram.
so basically if you want speed increase turn off any services that you don't want or need running and buy more Ram then maybe try a program like Ramdisk which will make program load up and run faster:)