Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 14, 2010, 05:43 PM
Rookie

Question ssd

what do i look at in a ssd?

is it just read and write speeds? the reason i ask is like i posted in my new build post

intel x-25m $219 --- read 250mb/s...write 70mb/s
ocz $167 --- read 285mb/s...write 275mb/s

looks like the ocz blows the intel out of the freaken water but is read and write all there is to ssd or is there more that im missing... like ocz they have

onix...vertex series...agility2...vertex2...vertex limited...vertex 2 pro...vertex 2 ex... vertex ex

y in the world do they need so many 2.5 in ssd's

all i hear about is intel ocz and wd are they basicly the best ones for the best prices??

Last edited by rogue woopa; July 14, 2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old July 14, 2010, 06:36 PM

My System Specs

You should be looking at small file IOPS as well as sequential read/writes. If the OCZ you are looking at is the Vertex 2, then yes it is a better drive than the X25-M. However every other OCZ drive falls slightly short in terms of random read IOPS compared to the X25-M. Which are likely the most important specification to look at.

WD is most definitely not the best drive to buy. It is one of the more poor ones IIRC.
Old July 14, 2010, 06:42 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I have anOCZ vertex 120gb and an OcZ vertex 2 extended 120gb , the vertex 2 benches faster than the vertex with ASSSD and Crystal diskmark but I can't tell the difference in everyday use. I know that a lot of the guys here really like the Intel's but these drives are so fast I have to wonder if there is really any advantage to one over the other . I would go with the vertex 2 because of the sandforce controler.
Old July 14, 2010, 09:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile SSD

I think you need to speak to the guru of SSDs, AkG. I've asked him if anyone needed help with SSDs if they could send him a pm. Simply mention that I directed you, so he knows why you're contacting him. He'll fill you in on every aspect of SSDs and the performance gains, plus which drive to get, how to tweak it,...
Old July 15, 2010, 06:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

buying an ssd is no big deal you don't even have to tweak them anymore at all if you don't want too. it's simple there only 3 controller chips that i would consider,indilinx barefoot,sandforce. or the intel. if you get any of these you''ll be good the newest one is sandforce hence why it's faster. with ssd always check out the 4kb write to see if it's good because os's tend to write this files size more then anything else.

imho any ssd the reads over 200mb/s is hard to tell apart from one another.and with the faster sandforce writes the simple fact is most hardware/software can not take advantage of this yet so keep that in mind. unless your going form another ssd for data then nothing is going to be able to read that fast which in turn means that the sandforce is waiting for the data so it can't write it faster because it's waiting for said data.
Old July 15, 2010, 06:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
buying an ssd is no big deal you don't even have to tweak them anymore at all if you don't want too. it's simple there only 3 controller chips that i would consider,indilinx barefoot,sandforce. or the intel. if you get any of these you''ll be good the newest one is sandforce hence why it's faster. with ssd always check out the 4kb write to see if it's good because os's tend to write this files size more then anything else.

imho any ssd the reads over 200mb/s is hard to tell apart from one another.and with the faster sandforce writes the simple fact is most hardware/software can not take advantage of this yet so keep that in mind. unless your going form another ssd for data then nothing is going to be able to read that fast which in turn means that the sandforce is waiting for the data so it can't write it faster because it's waiting for said data.

Well said Ginger! SSD's are getting to the point of the old hard drive rat-race. Fast is fast. Is .5% faster noticable? Not really.

Intel, barefoot, or sandforce. It is really a moot point between the three. Best price/size ratio wins.

Also: I have two Intel drives on for great prices in the BST forum...
Old July 15, 2010, 07:57 AM
Rookie

where do i find out about there 4kb thingy and iops of the different brands because newegg only posts read/write only a few have the other info so its hard to compare
Old July 15, 2010, 08:32 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post

Can't forget about the Marvell 88SS9174-BJP2 used in the Micron C300. The 64GB RealSSD-C300 @ ~ $155 is an amazing drive for its price if you have a board w/ Sata 6Gbps.

PC Cyber Canada - For All Your Computer Needs

If 64GB is enough for you, it would definitely be the drive of choice for me.
Old July 15, 2010, 09:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

oh hell ya i just never thought it was that cheap gotta add that one to the list thanks lowfat. and too answer your questions you have to read reviews.