Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 12, 2010, 08:15 PM
Top Prospect

Default Caviar Green for operating?

Is the caviar green alright for an operating system drive? I got one for free with my win7 purchase and was just going to throw the drive into my previous computer and run vista off it.

Anything wrong with that?
Old July 12, 2010, 08:21 PM
Banned
F@H

if you dont do lots of things, i.e. open a movie file and watch it? yup. lotsa things=need for slightly faster drive.
Old July 12, 2010, 09:06 PM
Top Prospect

Well it's going to be for my girlfriend. She doesn't do anything extreme but might open the odd movie file.. otherwise my computer does the gaming and main movies to the tv. She mostly surfs the internet and looks at pictures.
Old July 12, 2010, 09:14 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

If you plan on running a WD Green as an OS drive. You better run WDidle3 and change the time out for the head parking from 8 secs to a more reasonable number (or turn it OFF) otherwise you are going to kill that drive within a year or two.

IF wdilde3 cant run on your Green....dont use it as your OS drive. Simple as that.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 12, 2010, 09:20 PM
Banned
F@H

and the parking thing as well.
Old July 13, 2010, 07:55 AM
Banned

It will still be slow as molasses for an OS drive. Why not keep it for backup and backup the data that will inevitably build up over time?

You can get the cheapest SATA HDD for $40 or whatever and use it as the OS drive. Have a copy or original data files on the WD Green.
Old July 13, 2010, 08:48 AM
Banned

Hey, sorry for a post immediately afterwards... but, I have a question about WD software. I never use it and if I bought a Green drive, I'd need to use it with XP for a while.

Can the WD Align Utility software be used with a HDD set up in an enclosure? Maybe it only needs eSATA? Or maybe it's best to plug in as normal, run the software and then connect via external drive situation?

Anyone ever use this software? Can you use it with other drives connected? It's a 'Windows installer' file so I guess it will detect the WD drive... but, not sure about whether it works with the drive connected via USB (probably not) or eSATA.

WD Support > Downloads

I'm hoping this is an easy question to answer so I don't have to sign up in the WD Support forum to just ask this. It might even be a stupid question...dunno... I'm only considering this drive since it's easy to get locally and is about the same price everywhere.

I'm out of disk space, temporarily...
Old July 13, 2010, 09:10 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Probably wouldnt have any issue with eSATA. USB....hit or miss would be my guess. Best option though is internal connection. Its usually worth the couple extra seconds effort. :)

YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr