Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 3, 2011, 08:59 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

For small bursts of time (depending on cache size of hdds and assuming the data in in the cache) the sata 6gb/s setup COULD indeed be faster than the sata 2's. It has nothing to do with r/w speed, rather it has to do with BURST speed. As each hdd as a ram chip that can easily burst HIGHER than sata 2.

BUT if you want pure performance, you are much better off going for a SSD. I would recommend 60GB as a good min size.

The Vertex 2 is on sale for 1 bill (after MIR). Its a good choice (much better than the onyx, which while good are not as good as the V2's)
NCIX.com - Buy OCZ Vertex 2 Extended Sandforce 60GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD - OCZ Technology - OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G - in Canada

The Agilty 3 is about 115 (after MIR).
NCIX.com - Buy OCZ Agility 3 60GB 2.5IN SATA3 Sandforce SF-2281 SSD Solid State Disk Flash Drive - OCZ Technology - AGT3-25SAT3-60G - in Canada

It plus a good 1TB WD black would make a great starting point for any rig.
NCIX.com - Buy Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM - Western Digital WD - WD1002FAEX - in Canada

EDIT:
As to the last persons question. Yes and no. Factory speed is soon lost. BUT with TRIM and modern ITGC a SSD will get about 90 - 95% of what they start out with (on average some models less, etc etc) and they KEEP it. The days of ssds getting slower and slower are long gone.

The Intel 320 series (basically aka x25m gen 3) is a decent budget drive. Other excellent choices (for budgets) are the Crucial c300 and older Sandforce SF1222's (eg Vertex 2). None are as fast as THIS gen ssds, such as the Crucial M4, Corsair Perf 3, Intel 510 (all 3 have the same controller, dif firmware)....OR...the SF 2281s like Vertex 3, and my personal fav....Vertex 3 Max IOPS (32nm Toshiba Toggle Mode 1.0 NAND...pure "win").

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; July 3, 2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old July 3, 2011, 03:33 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Read AkG's sticky on choosing an SSD -- and keep in mind that half-way decent, SATAII SSD will be notably faster and massively more responsive than even a RAID0 setup of fast HDDs. Read the reviews, even raided VelociRaptors lose to decent SSDs. I can speak from experience comparing RAID0 Caviar Blacks versus the X-25M (and that's now an old SSD), the difference was immediately apparent on a (then-new) i7-920 system.

As for the durability issue, that's only if they're not maintained. They're more sensitive than HDDs, but the tools exist to correct the SSD's version of fragmentation, and most of them work automatically.

SSDs can easily be had for $2 per GB or less -- but keep in mind you're not paying so much for space as for speed. These days, I'd skimp on the processor to fund an SSD in a build if the budget required it, the difference is that great.
Old July 3, 2011, 04:13 PM
Top Prospect

$200 is enough to buy a 60GB SSD, and a 750 Caviar blue...

Newegg.com - Corsair Nova Series 2 CSSD-V60GB2 2.5" 60GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD7500AALX 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

With that, everything will fit on the 1TB backup too.

edit: oops, I didnt see akg's post...

Last edited by NI3; July 3, 2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old July 8, 2011, 03:09 PM
Rookie

i actually found an ocz vertex 2 120 gb on sale for about 217$. i was looking at getting a wd black and the 2tb was on for almost 170! so i figured id see what kind of ssd i can get for that price and i stumbled on the vertex 2 120 gb ssd. sata II of course. i dont know if i should wait for ssd sata 3 or not... im kinda already excited to buy that vertex. i just wanted to run it through some of ya smart fellers first ;) ive done too many things where i trusted my own advice ( or lack thereof ) instead of someone elses, and got stuck with something i didnt want. so sounds like ive learned something haha. i may not have a lot of money, but im usually willing to save some up everynow and then and buy something a little better than average. i was looking at buying one of those ssd's from ocz.. the ones with read/write speeds buth at close to 750 mb/sec. but i figured 600$ was a little too far from reach haha.
Old July 8, 2011, 07:47 PM
Rookie

ok.. i think im hooked. i found an ocz agility 3 sata 3 120gb on sale for 200$ hook, line, sinker, period :P
Old July 19, 2011, 12:19 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
These days, I'd skimp on the processor to fund an SSD in a build if the budget required it, the difference is that great.
Amen. In fact I'll take that one step further.

I'll cut corners to fund a PCIe SSD.