Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 2, 2010, 01:38 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Hardware Switch

I was wondering if I can keep the hard drive I have now with all my games and programs on it and use it with a new a motherboard, cpu and ram.

Is it possible
Old July 2, 2010, 02:17 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

If it was me i would back up everything and format, I like to be on the safe side.
"My brother is dead. He's not here Anymore. But on my back, and in my heart...He lives on in me. I will make a hole through heaven itself, even if that hole becomes my grave. As long as I break through, I will be victorious.Who the **** do you think I am?"
Old July 2, 2010, 02:18 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

There are ways to do this, but you are far better off just reinstalling when you get your new hardware.
Old July 2, 2010, 02:28 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
There are ways to do this, but you are far better off just reinstalling when you get your new hardware.
But what if I have a lot of games, I mean a lot like 30 games
it'll take for ever to do it all
Old July 2, 2010, 02:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvsbutthd101 View Post
But what if I have a lot of games, I mean a lot like 30 games
it'll take for ever to do it all
I'd assume you're using Steam for most of them then.

Use the Steam backup feature, it's not amazingly fast, but it saves a lot of time.
Old July 2, 2010, 02:37 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You can attempt to, I've tried it with very few points of success.

What you need to do is a safe uninstall of all drivers (including chipset I believe) and then put the drive with the new hardware, otherwise you'll get no end to BSOD's if your HDD tries to run on a different chipset than it has drivers for.

That being said, in all honesty it is really a good idea to just start with a clean install and heed the advice the other members give you here.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 2, 2010, 02:42 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
I'd assume you're using Steam for most of them then.

Use the Steam backup feature, it's not amazingly fast, but it saves a lot of time.
No only a couple of games are on steam, but most of them are just downloaded off the internet
Old July 2, 2010, 03:47 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Ok i have another question, I fried my cpu the other day and I can't get my computer to boot up, I mean nothing comes up on the screen when I turn it on. So when I get this new hardware can I format the hard drive on the new hardware
Old July 2, 2010, 05:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You should be able to use your old hard drive in whichever way you want (formatting it, retrieving data, etc.) as long as it plugs in to your new hardware. I assume from your "my system specs" you are using a SATA2 hard drive, which should be compatible with any modern ATX or mATX motherboard you may pick up.

How do you know that you fried your CPU? Those are VERY hard to damage through "normal" use... Nothing coming up on the monitor can mean a lot of things, including loose connections, some screwy thing you did to the BIOS which requires a CMOS reset, bad monitor cable, etc. etc... After running unstable CPU and northbridge overclocks for extended amounts of time (and crazy amounts of BSOD in Windows and Kernel Panic in Linux), my Phenom 9950 CPU is fine.
Old July 2, 2010, 06:02 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
You should be able to use your old hard drive in whichever way you want (formatting it, retrieving data, etc.) as long as it plugs in to your new hardware. I assume from your "my system specs" you are using a SATA2 hard drive, which should be compatible with any modern ATX or mATX motherboard you may pick up.

How do you know that you fried your CPU? Those are VERY hard to damage through "normal" use... Nothing coming up on the monitor can mean a lot of things, including loose connections, some screwy thing you did to the BIOS which requires a CMOS reset, bad monitor cable, etc. etc... After running unstable CPU and northbridge overclocks for extended amounts of time (and crazy amounts of BSOD in Windows and Kernel Panic in Linux), my Phenom 9950 CPU is fine.
I'm not sure if the cpu is fried but I've done everything to reset, I've checked my cables multiple times everything is plugs in all the way, I even tryed using a different monitor but still no go. Doesn't matter just order my new parts.

EVGA x58 FTW3 motherboard
4 gb Corsair dominator gt ram
intel core i7 930 cpu

This upgrade is for the better :)