Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   2TB Drive Selection Decisions (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/33810-2tb-drive-selection-decisions.html)

kingnubian July 1, 2010 01:31 PM

2TB Drive Selection Decisions

I'm rebuilding my server & need some input on which 2tb hard drive may be perfect for my setup. I will be purchasing 1 or 2.

There is a 75% chance my rebuilt server will be running CentOS 5.5 (Linux) so if this will sway my decision I would like to be informed as to why. I'm not for absolute max transfer rates but more focused on reliability, low heat & quiet operation. I would also like an affordable setup which includes the drives.

Here are my contenders so far.

Hitachi DeskStar 7K2000
Seagate barracuda LP
Samsung echoGree F3 or F2
Western Digital caviar Green (EADS or EARS)

lowfat July 1, 2010 01:42 PM

My opinion is to purchase whatever is the cheapest. I have four of the Seagate LPs, two of the 7K2000, and two of the WD20EARS. Haven't had any issues or complaints about any of them.

AkG July 1, 2010 01:47 PM

I'd probably go what ever is cheapest.
But if there was only a couple bucks difference I'd pick the LPs. No 8 sec timer to worry about like with the Greens, yet low power and low noise solutions. I KNOW I wouldnt get the EARS as wdidle3 apparently doesnt work on them.

Arinoth July 1, 2010 01:48 PM

I agree with going with whatever is the cheapest. I have had no issues with my 2 1.5TB seagates and when i bought each of them they were the cheapest at the time (woo for sales)

_dangtx_ July 1, 2010 02:01 PM

greens all the way if theyre going to be working 24/7 :)

Behemoth- July 1, 2010 03:24 PM

NCIX got the ears 2tb for 109 + free shipping. the eads is 99,99 but only 1 per customer... so if you don't mind the advanced format it's all good. I'm gonna get 2 in the next few days. When I receive 'em, i'll try to mess and see if I can get the wdidle to work.

kingnubian July 1, 2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Behemoth- (Post 398538)
NCIX got the ears 2tb for 109 + free shipping. the eads is 99,99 but only 1 per customer... so if you don't mind the advanced format it's all good. I'm gonna get 2 in the next few days. When I receive 'em, i'll try to mess and see if I can get the wdidle to work.

Not familiar with wdiddle, can someone fill me in? I'll have also to see about the 4k sector format & Linux kernel compatibility. I found this quote so far from a WDC community post.

"4K/Advanced format is only implemented on "EARS" models with 64mb cache......WD15EADS is 32MB cache and it's the old model without the 4K/Advance format!"

Any Hitachi or Samsung fans as they are usually on sale?

Behemoth- July 1, 2010 04:57 PM

wdiddle is easy to use. within a few command line you can set how long it takes for the drive's head to park itself.

As for the 4k sector and linux kernels, you basicly only have to create a partition starting at the 64th sector of the drive. Creating many partition is a lil' more touchy though.

also:
EADS = 512kb sectors
EARS =4k sectors

AFAIK, there are (or used to have) 1tb, 1.5 and 2tb version of each.

Zero82z July 1, 2010 05:40 PM

I would just save yourself the hassle and grab a Samsung drive.

dustin1706 July 1, 2010 06:05 PM

Using any form of RAID in your fileserver?

From My recent research:

Hitachi7200 = good drive, louder and more power hungry than the 5xxxrpm drives though
Seagate LP = almost as loud as 7200rpm drives (according to SPCR), high failure rate... I'm not a SG hater, in fact I am using SG drives right now with no problems, but according to reviews and forums, the LP drives specifically have a high failure rate.
Samsung F3 = I've personally never tried a sammy drive, but they get good reviews for reliability and noise, but terrible reviews for customer service and RMAs.
WD EARS = Good drive.. AFTER you use the WDIDLE3 program to disable the head parking. NOT FOR RAID, the TLER cannot be turned on.
WD EADS = Good drive.. AFTER you use WDIDLE3 just like the EARS. Also, you can update the firmware of this drive and then use the WDTLER software to enable TLER so that these can be used in RAID.

Bear in mind that all the info I read was from forums, pro reviews, and custom reviews. Personally I have 2 WD20EADS on the way from NCIX. they are "on sale" for $99 right now. I use quotation marks because it is a maximum of 1 drive per customer... but they also have free shipping over 100$ this week.