Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 1, 2010, 08:30 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default HDD temperatures?

What hard drive does everyone run and what temps are they getting ?

I've read that the WD black's run hotter, so I'm looking for a balance of perf. and relatively low operating temps, I jumped on the 1TB WD blue that canada computers had on sale, but wondering what temps the blues operate at while in a case.

The drive won't be used for OS, but more for storage (storing raw vids from capturing).

right now in my old rig, i have 3 drives, a 250gb, and 2 320gb. The 250 runs hot (to me), running at low 50's, where as the 320's I have run at low-mid 30's.
Old July 1, 2010, 08:44 AM
Banned
F@H

if you have (almost any kind) airflow youll be fine. bar the rappies and so on that are quite the hotties.

as for ssd's some have good thermal transfer with the casing(i.e. external heatsink) others not so.
Old July 1, 2010, 09:52 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

yea, i'll be running the intel 80gb, so I think that should be fine. Just want to reduce overall heat in the system as much as reasonably possible.
Old July 23, 2010, 11:14 AM
Rookie

Default edit

i have one system with 2xWD blacks in RAID 1 and they are warm (and comparatively speaking, they are the warmest item in my case)
unfortunately I cannot receive a S.M.A.R.T. reading of temps due to they are in a RAID setup

solution - Kingwin IY-8015 ICY Aluminum Hard Drive Cooler (on order)
i'm hoping that with the proper speed (to keep acoustics to a minimum) that I can keep the WD's cool