Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   SSD slower than expected... (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/33744-ssd-slower-than-expected.html)

Kilauea June 29, 2010 08:10 PM

SSD slower than expected...

Hello, I have recently gotten a Vertex 2 120gb to put my main programs including Windows 7 instead of my Caviar Black 1tb.

However, in the process I guess Windows boot time is actually a fair bit slower than it used to be. Most likely its a classic case of pebkac. But roughly before with my unoptimized, few months old installation, I was getting a boot time of about 1m21s give or take a few seconds (from the moment I pressed the button). With the SSD having done all the proper optimisation (or so I think), I am closer to 1m50s.

As for the optimisations I have done, I have basicly followed those 2 sites: Guide SSD Tweak Utility
Windows 7 - Ultimate SSD Speed Tweaks

Can anyone enlighten me ?

Arinoth June 29, 2010 08:13 PM

Have you set your motherboard from sata to AHCI? this will make a world of difference as AHCI is what the ssd is suppose to be run in as it runs it 'in full mode. I ran mine in sata for the first few days, wondered why boot was slightly faster but not noticeable and why my write speeds sucked. Switched to AHCI and found i boot faster and i am getting the write speeds i should be getting.

Kilauea June 29, 2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 397675)
Have you set your motherboard from sata to AHCI? this will make a world of difference as AHCI is what the ssd is suppose to be run in as it runs it 'in full mode. I ran mine in sata for the first few days, wondered why boot was slightly faster but not noticeable and why my write speeds sucked. Switched to AHCI and found i boot faster and i am getting the write speeds i should be getting.

Did not do that, I actually tried, but it wouldn't boot, so I figured I didn't do the right thing. Do you think you could be more specific as to what I should change exactly ?

Arinoth June 29, 2010 08:40 PM

You have to do a reg edit to enable/change window's recongition from sata to ahci otherwise it'll do that if you change it post install. Let me look through my PMs and will edit this post with the link on how to do it. Once its done you can switch it to AHCI and you'll be all set to go. I had the same issue as you.

Edit: Crap i can't find it. I know AkG will have the link for you when he gets his odd butt up tomorrow.

Kilauea June 29, 2010 08:49 PM

Alright, thanks, at least that makes me feel better because 1, I am not alone and 2 (most important), I am not crazy and should expect some benefit.

I thought I had to change that in the BIOS, but the looks of what you said, its done only in the registry.

Arinoth June 29, 2010 08:53 PM

Well you have to change it in the bios before you install windows 7 otherwise you have to do the registry change like i did and you will have to

gingerbee June 30, 2010 04:20 AM

once the reg hack is done when rebooting you have to switch it too ahci in the bios.

Kilauea June 30, 2010 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingerbee (Post 397755)
once the reg hack is done when rebooting you have to switch it too ahci in the bios.

That's what Anabios said... For now I am waiting to Akg or someone else for information regarding the registry hack. But I am still puzzled as to which option I switch to AHCI, last time I checked, there were at least 2 placed where I could makethe switch, but I will have to do my homework and give u more information later today.

gingerbee June 30, 2010 04:33 AM

under sata config there should be ahci/ide/raid if your board has onboard raid. switch it to ahci. akg is good not god this is a basic tweak. good luck too you AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista - Windows 7 Forums

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...what-achi.html

Kilauea June 30, 2010 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingerbee (Post 397760)
akg is good not god

You are ruining it all!!!

Thanks Ginger, I will try that when I get back from work.