Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 30, 2010, 04:46 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

SandForce based controllers are less then optimal solutions for all environments besides a TRIM enabled one.
Your speed is gone becuase it is in a degraded mode and while putting it into AHCI (and using Intel's latests and greatest RST drivers) will keep in from happening in the future you are going to have to either let it idle for a day or so (or more) to let its gentle self cleaning rouitnes do thier magic (aka ITGC) or do something more extreme. After setting up AHCI, Id let the system idle for a day or so and see if its back to its peppy ways before doing anything more extreme. :)

Picture version:
AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista - Windows 7 Forums

MS Text version (KB article):
Error message when you start a Windows 7 or Windows Vista-based computer after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive: "STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

Hope that helps

Edit:
Yup Gingerbee, I am definitely not god. If I was...OCZ Toolbox would have a manual cleaning option in it....as I run into this issue on a bi-daily basis while testing them in a nonTRIM enviro. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 30, 2010, 05:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
SandForce based controllers are less then optimal solutions for all environments besides a TRIM enabled one.
Your speed is gone becuase it is in a degraded mode and while putting it into AHCI (and using Intel's latests and greatest RST drivers) will keep in from happening in the future you are going to have to either let it idle for a day or so (or more) to let its gentle self cleaning rouitnes do thier magic (aka ITGC) or do something more extreme. After setting up AHCI, Id let the system idle for a day or so and see if its back to its peppy ways before doing anything more extreme. :)

Picture version:
AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista - Windows 7 Forums

MS Text version (KB article):
Error message when you start a Windows 7 or Windows Vista-based computer after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive: "STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

Hope that helps

Edit:
Yup Gingerbee, I am definitely not god. If I was...OCZ Toolbox would have a manual cleaning option in it....as I run into this issue on a bi-daily basis while testing them in a nonTRIM enviro. ;)
not trying to be a dick this is just an easy fix is all. and no kidding i have not bought any sandforce yet becuase i was worried about that and you have just confirmed it thanks. not a god just a great guy/reviewer thanks for all your handwork again.
Old June 30, 2010, 05:14 AM

No worries mate. Didnt take it any other way GB.

To the OP. IF you decide to go for more extreme measures (I personally do...but I dont have that much time to waste....everyday). I can honestly say that a Sani erase (HDDErase or OCZToolbox version) will not bring the speed back so its not worth the effort to nuke it. HDDErase is great for some things when the a SF drive is messing up, but bringing back from a degraded state aint one of them. :(

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 30, 2010, 05:15 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

When you installed the SSD did you let Win7 format it? If you formatted it using a different OS like XP then it may not be aligned properly. SSDs need to be aligned during formating and XP is not aware of these requirements and will not format align them correctly which can cause performance degradation. Vista and Win7 will align properly during a format.
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old June 30, 2010, 12:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Alright, after a few attempts it seems like its working, now time to spend time outside... if only it looked like a summer day.
Old June 30, 2010, 02:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Btw is it normal that HDTune has something highlighted in yellow on the Vertex 2 when checking health ?

And do I have any other thing to do regularly in order to maintain my SSD's speed ?
Old June 30, 2010, 02:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hdtune was always wrong for the barefoot health wise so i doubt it works know. just to let you know.
Old June 30, 2010, 02:57 PM

+1 to that Gingerbee. Very few programs understand SSDs when it comes to SMART. Hell every SF drive Ive gotten had to be sani erased to remove the false positive "bad" SMART warning!

As long as you are in AHCI mode and using the newer Intel RST drivers you will be golden. :)

The reason I say Intel and not my usual Intel or default MS ahci drivers is because, the default MS drivers dont fully comply with the TRIM std whereas Intel's DO. For most SSDs it doesnt matter if the system "bursts" more then 64 requests per trim command to it, whereas it does with SF drives. They expect up to 64 and then stop "listening" until another TRIM command is sent. So under certain instances...you could be running AHCI mode and STILL get into a degraded state! SF says they have "fixed" the issue with firmware 310 and MS driver via a workaround...I wouldnt trust it yet. ;)

Old July 1, 2010, 08:24 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

ok on a related note, i'm about to do a fresh install (win7 ultimate 64bit) on an intel X25M in my new build in a week or so...

so what do I need to do before hand to make sure I get it all right in one shot?
Old July 1, 2010, 08:59 AM

Make sure you are running in AHCI mode in the BIOS. Unplug all the drives besides the SSD (and dvd drive). Install win 7. Download and install the Intel RST drivers. They are slightly better then the default MSAHCI drivers. Reboot. Plug in your other drives.
Run the various tweaks. Reboot
I like to run the Intel SSD optimizer once just to make sure everything is starting out in a fresh state. But that is optional. :)

And thats about it.