Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 29, 2010, 09:55 AM
Top Prospect

Default What is ACHI

Im wondering if I should enable it or not for my computer build..
Can someone give me a small explanation of what the heck it is exactly?
What are the benefits of having it either on or off?
Old June 29, 2010, 10:50 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

"AHCI mode is Advanced Host Config interface. Gives you hot swapping abilites, NCQ and best of all TRIM. IDe mode can in theory pass on the trim command but only AHCI drivers do." - AKG. I don't really know much about it, but the one thing i know is that if i enable it while using my SSD, it enables TRIM. Sadly my performance is somehow horrible with it so i must go IDE and use Intel SSD optimizer every week.
"My brother is dead. He's not here Anymore. But on my back, and in my heart...He lives on in me. I will make a hole through heaven itself, even if that hole becomes my grave. As long as I break through, I will be victorious.Who the **** do you think I am?"
Old June 29, 2010, 10:52 AM
MVP

Advanced Host Controller Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many SATA controllers offer selectable modes of operation: legacy Parallel ATA emulation, standard AHCI mode, or vendor-specific RAID. Intel recommends choosing RAID mode on their motherboards (which also enables AHCI) rather than the plain AHCI/SATA mode for maximum flexibility, due to the issues caused when the mode is switched once an operating system has already been installed.[2] Legacy mode is a software backward-compatibility mechanism intended to allow the SATA controller to run in legacy operating systems which are not SATA-aware or where a driver does not exist to make the operating systems SATA-aware.

I've wondered this too. I was just looking at a bios yesterday thinking what would happen if I switched it to raid or ACHI with an OS already installed.
Old June 29, 2010, 10:55 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

IF you dont do the reg hack first...your will BSOD until you set it back to IDE legacy mode.
Luckily, the hack is EASY and takes about 5 seconds to do.
Run the hack. Reboot, go into BIOS and change to AHCI mode. reboot. Let it install the drivers....enjoy. :)

AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista - Windows 7 Forums

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr