Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   need storage drive - compare 2? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/33719-need-storage-drive-compare-2-a.html)

technix June 29, 2010 06:56 AM

need storage drive - compare 2?

I need to buy a storage drive for someone who has filled up their main drive.

I said the data should be on a storage drive anyway but the OS is XP.

I was going to buy a 1 TB HDD which is around the same more or less online. Both drives are about $75.

I figure the two choices are:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM

Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EARS 1TB 5400 RPM 64MB

The WD drive needs that WD Align Utility to align the partition. I don't know if any good and I've read of horror stories about it. It uses Paragon Align software.

Initially, I've favored the WD Green drives but there are some complaints about the software for alignment and reliability issues plus load cycle count problems.

I'm inclined to go with Seagate because of this although Seagate drives also have a poor rep these days. Imho, these two aren't my favorites but I'm not sure I can find a Samsung 1TB for a decent price.

Which one should I get? :sad:

JD June 29, 2010 07:47 AM

7200.12 is pretty solid. I have one in my server and no complaints thus far. Samsung F3 is good too, performs similarly. I have them mirrored together, so I don't really know which is being used mostly, but either way it's fast and reliable.

As for aligning the Green drives, isn't that only an issue with Windows XP and below? If you're on Windows 7 it should be fine and align itself.

AkG June 29, 2010 08:01 AM

WD greens and their head parking issue is so blown out of proprotion it aint funny. IF you are using it as a data only drive they are great. IF you plan on using it as your temp dir / pg file / scratch disk drive....you are in for pain. They are elegant solutions for what they were designed for, but are very inelegant solutions for anything besides their specific niche. Simple as that. :)

Same goes for the 4k "issue". If you are running win 7 it is not an issue. 4K alignment is what Vista Sp1 (or was it Sp2....cant remember) and later MS OS's do by default.

The greens run cooler, use less power and make less noise and have the same warranty as the Seagate. The Seagate is faster, and more "durable" as a scratch / pg file /etc drive.

Really all depends on what you plan on using the drive for. If its data storage only (like music, rar files, etc) the WD is a great deal. For everything else the Seagate is a better choice. :)

YMMV

Arinoth June 29, 2010 08:11 AM

I've had absolutely no issues with my 2 7200.12 1.5TB hard drive from Seagate, i'd recommend the 1.0 or the 1.5TB from them.

IvanAndreevich June 29, 2010 02:09 PM

Why not get the Samsung F3 1TB? Costs the same and loads faster than either drive.

technix July 8, 2010 03:07 PM

Where can I get the Samsung?

The more I look at the EARS drives, the more I think they are sh**.

I used to recommend those drives but I still read of the load cycle count (parking heads) problem. It is a major PITA to deal with especially when you have to download and use DOS software. What bothers me is the time you have to take doing this and WD does nothing while this is still a major issue.

I also read that WD totally ignores you when you email support about it.

I would like to boycott WD because of this.