Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 24, 2010, 05:20 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Question Quiet 2TB Raid 1 ??Wd20EARS???

Hey guys,

I am collecting parts for my build and have a question about my storage drives.

Currently I have 2 SG 7200.11 1.5TB in raid 1 for storage. They are completely full, so I would like to get some new 2TB drives for my new PC. Silence is as important as performance for this build, so I was looking at getting the WD20EARS as per some reviews from HWWC, SPCR and other places.

Thing is, I am now reading that WD has disabled the ability to turn TLER on, so their drives will drop out of RAID. If you want to run RAID you need to buy the "enterprise" versions for 3x more money. $200 for firmware???? I think Not. I absolutely want to run 2 2tb drives in RAID1 and will probably add another set of 2tb drives once these are full.

Google has failed me this time and I would like to know if anyone has tried running the WD20EARS in RAID1 with Win7, and how it worked out. If that is impossible, what other options are there for a good 2tb QUIET drive without spending $3.2 mil on SSDs?
Old June 24, 2010, 05:24 PM
Banned
F@H

try maybe the eads 32 megger? dont forget the load cycle count thingie. if your array is going to be active all the time, then no worries
Old June 24, 2010, 05:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Apparently with the WD Green EADS drives you are able to enable the WDTLER and WDIDLE. I have no idea for sure but I read it on NCIX forums from deathhawk so you be the judge. If you don't like taking chances, you could go with Seagate, who doesn't disable stuff on their drives. You could also do 2TB Hitachi drives.
Old June 24, 2010, 06:39 PM
Banned
F@H

keep to wd. hitachi,seagate..meh
Old June 24, 2010, 06:53 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
keep to wd. hitachi,seagate..meh
That is personal preference.

I a bunch of The Hitachi 7k2000, Seagate 2TB LP 5900rpm, and the WD20EARS. All of them are rather quiet. The Hitachi's are most definitely the fastest of the bunch of that matters to you.
Old June 24, 2010, 06:54 PM
Banned
F@H

sorry, i shouldve pointed out reliability(bar the park thing on the green wd's : )
Old June 26, 2010, 07:49 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Well, I've done a ton of research on all of the 2TB drives. It appears that WD has been trying to upsell their "commercial grade" drives.

Apparently, you can still run wdidle3 to prevent the heads from parking on the green drives, but some drives have TLER locked (depending on firmware). With the EARS you are screwed. No way to enable TLER for RAID. But if you get the EADS, you can flash the firmware to the same firmware the RE4 version uses, then you can enable TLER and disable head parking. Western Digital Time-Limited Error Recovery (TLER) with RAID and SE, SE16, GP Models - Page 14 - [H]ard|Forum

Since I was really looking for quiet drives, the Hitachi is out, and the seagate LPs apparently are just as loud as a 7200 and seem to have poor reviews and lots of failures. I have only ever bought WD and seagate, and have had about equal failure rates with them. I honestly don't trust any of these drives, which is why I insist on RAID1. I know bad things can still happen to your data, but at least you are protected from physical drive failure, which has been my only cause of data loss. I do back up my documents and such to disc regularly, but music and movies...? even with Blu rays, 2TB backups suck.

So, it looks like the EADS are the way to go, but I also came across the Samsung EcoGreen F3. Anyone try one of those?
Old June 28, 2010, 01:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i haven't had much success with samsung drives. I would stick with WD.
Old July 8, 2010, 07:38 AM
Rookie

I was running 2 1TB Seagate 7200.11 drives on RAID 1 for a year, 24/7 without a problem. I have been doing some hardware changes and decided to get the WD 1 TB 64meg cache drives instead as I got a great price on them. My lack of research prompted me to sell these drives after a week of usage. I had no issues with them that week but with the EARS issues with RAID and on top of which they were slower than my Seagates, I figured I was better off going back to my Seagates.

I am trying to find 2TB drives that are cheap and work with RAID. The EADS are the top contender but the prep work to get them RAID ready doesn't seem to be a sure thing from what I have read elsewhere.
Old July 8, 2010, 03:11 PM
Banned

WD EARS drives are reported not to work well in RAID. Also, they might be prone to early failure unless you disable the load cycle count/continuous parking heads.