Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 19, 2007, 06:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah... I've already got the card so that's sort of a moot point.

But since it's EVGA, I will definitely look into their Step-up program when the new high-end models come out in Dec or Jan. Also, my MoBo is the Maximus Formula (X38), so no SLI for me....(plus a lot of games still have trouble with SLI) and if I don't step it up, as a single-GPU config, I could do worse than that card...

If nVidia never makes a deal with Intel to support SLI on the X38 (which is HIGHLY unlikely), I might just have to look at Crossfire down the road...
Old November 19, 2007, 06:42 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

The ultras were never worth it. Maybe to someone who has no clue about overclocking. I bought a GTS 640 and a complete watercooling system for $100 less than the Ultra and proceeded to smoke the ultra by 3000 points in 3dmark06.
Old November 19, 2007, 06:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
The ultras were never worth it. Maybe to someone who has no clue about overclocking. I bought a GTS 640 and a complete watercooling system for $100 less than the Ultra and proceeded to smoke the ultra by 3000 points in 3dmark06.
I hear you, but, as I said, it's a little late for that.

The fact that I can use the Step-up program also cushion's the blow a fair bit...
Old November 19, 2007, 06:58 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Step up to what? You'll trade your $650 card in on a $400 card that is twice as fast. They might not even allow that 'step down' program.

I truly wish you would have consulted us more first

That said if money aint tight then you do currently own the fastest card in the world.

Also. I saw your post about the hard drive cooler at ncix. The raptors are the exact same dimensions as all other drives and the coolers will fit them.
Old November 19, 2007, 07:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Step up to what? You'll trade your $650 card in on a $400 card that is twice as fast. They might not even allow that 'step down' program.

I truly wish you would have consulted us more first

That said if money aint tight then you do currently own the fastest card in the world.

Also. I saw your post about the hard drive cooler at ncix. The raptors are the exact same dimensions as all other drives and the coolers will fit them.
Ha ha! True enough about the "step down"

Still, we'll see what happens...

I also wish I had found this place before I started this process, but I found it partway through, which helps a lot. I don't have a lot of experience yet, but I learn quickly and I guess I'll stick around for a while and see what I can pick up

I'm only concerned about the PSU now... (Cooler Master Extreme Power 650W is what I have on order) since I have heard all kinds of differing stories about this...

This is the rig (which I have ordered basically all of, but it hasn't shipped yet, except the processor which I already have and the GPU, which is on the way):
Quote:
Case - Antec 900

Mobo
- Asus Maximus Formula

GPU - EVGA 8800 Ultra

CPU - Q6600

PSU - Coolermaster Exteme Power 650W

HD1 - Western Digital Raptor 150GB
HD2 - Western Digital SE16 500GB SATA2 7200RPM

Sound - Creative Labs Sound Blaster XtremeGamer Fatal1ty

RAM - Mushkin XP PC2-6400 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-12 240PIN

Heatsink - Thermalright Ultra120

Monitor - Samsung SyncMaster 245B 24IN Widescreen 1920x1200

OS - Vista Ultimate 64-bit

Optical Drives - 1 DVD-R and 1 DVD -RW
(I realize I should post this question in the power supply forum, so if a mod objects,I can delete and repost there)

Thanks for your help Squeetard!
Old November 19, 2007, 08:24 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

How much are you paying for vista ultimate??!

Great system, don't know much about that power supply. I run an OCZ 700watt unit and have no troubles.

See my post in the 22" monitor thread about the cheaper panel LCD's. I spent an extra $100 ($650) and got the LG with the mva panel and ran it side by side with the 22" version of your monitor and the difference was incredible. The TN panel looked like absolute crap. seriously.
Old November 19, 2007, 11:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Vista Ultimate was something like $180 (OEM) but it got me free shipping on my order, which would have been like $90 or something... so it was actually cheaper to get Ultimate than Home Premium...

Anyway, I hear what you're saying about the monitor, but for now that's what I'm getting, I just got the shipping email :)

Maybe my next upgrade will be to a better one, but by then I'll probably go 27" or something...

They shipped everything except the RAM, which is back-ordered :(...

I might even start putting it together this weekend! I'm stoked now!
Old December 18, 2007, 05:27 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I purchased 2 used 74 Gig Raptors. A couple months ago.

I am running them in Raid 0. WOW. I am absolutely thilled how fast EVERYTHING runs (loading windows, programs, games, or just moving / checking out files on my RAID Drive).

I did get a very good price on the drives. :)