Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 7, 2010, 03:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Need suggestions for fast boot drive

I'm putting together a budget quad system and want to have a fast boot drive - about 80 gb. I just want to install win 7 + apps on it. Then I'll create a disk image and throw it on my 2+ TBs of space on storage/backup drives.

So my options are:

1) ssd - would be above my budget ($140 for a 40gb intel)
2) 2x 160gb WD drives in RAID 0 ($94 for two of them, but low end and poor performance - even in raid 0?)
3) seagate momentus hybrid (not sure how much this would cost, but looks like the winner).
4) could also get faster hds in raid 0 (WD/32mb cache - 500 gbs - $70 each)

I should probably go with the last option and use the large amount of space in the raid volume as backup for my storage drives. I think that I'm being moronically paranoid about a disk failing in the raid.

Would option 4 be faster than 3?

mike

Last edited by hfxmike; June 7, 2010 at 03:57 PM. Reason: forgot to tick notification
Old June 7, 2010, 04:09 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

a single SSD would "keep it simple"
Old June 7, 2010, 04:12 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

simple, but expensive unfortunately.
Old June 7, 2010, 04:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You can get Seagate 500GB 7200.12's for around $45 pricematched on NCIX. Two of those would probably scream in RAID0.

EDIT
Or you can just buy them straight from DC.
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA2 3.5IN 8.5MS 7200RPM 16MB Hard Drive Oem *3YR Mfr Warranty* - DirectCanada
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old June 7, 2010, 04:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am playing around with a setup right now that has 2 x seagate 640's in raid0 and it's far from slow but it's no ssd. SSd's just make the system snappy because of access times being nothing.

Since an ssd is out the cheapest fastest raid0 hdd setup i can think of would be 2 x 320's or 2 x 500's or 2 x 640's. everything else is outta of price range i think your idea of the momentus

is the simple cheaper way to go. that being said you can get a 30 gb Kingston on sale for 80 bucks then run a hdd for all data and installs or even 2 other hdd 1 for install's 1 for data. but

there are lots of options. good luck
Old June 7, 2010, 04:50 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I am leaning toward buying two of these and putting them in RAID 0
WD Caviar Black 500GB 7200RPM 3.5IN WD5001AALS SATA 32MB (3year)
[WD5001AALS]

Greenlyph - 1078 Queen Street, Halifax - (902) 422-2453

a bit more than the Seagates, but no shipping and greenlyph is just down the street from me.
Old June 7, 2010, 05:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just don't see why you would purchase two drives and spend $140 when for only tiny bit more you can get a SSD. Since you are really only looking at something like 60-80GB for a boot drive you could get a few different drives. For example there is the Kingston V Gen II drive for $155 from NCIX or the V+ for $200.

Really I think you would be better off going with the SSD than the raid. You get better speed, cooler temps, less possible failure, and better performance. That's my 2 cents.

Last edited by ipaine; June 8, 2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old June 7, 2010, 08:14 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

thanks for your reply ipaine. i've thought everything through and decided to use two of my existing hds in raid 0. I have too many hds already. eventually I will end up getting either one or two SSDs. right now they are too pricey for me. maybe when they hit $1/gb.

also, the more I read about the seagate hybrid, the less impressed I am.
i thought about using the money to buy 8 gb of ram instead of 4, but that might wait as well. windows 7 SuperFetch seems to get good results, but I'd go nuts waiting for it to write gigs of data to ram everytime i boot up.

so i'll keep my cash for now and go with a low end raid....better than installing the OS on a single hd, which is what i was planning on doing until a few days ago.
Old June 10, 2010, 03:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
I just don't see why you would purchase two drives and spend $140 when for only tiny bit more you can get a SSD. Since you are really only looking at something like 60-80GB for a boot drive you could get a few different drives. For example there is the Kingston V Gen II drive for $155 from NCIX or the V+ for $200.

Really I think you would be better off going with the SSD than the raid. You get better speed, cooler temps, less possible failure, and better performance. That's my 2 cents.
Hey, ipaine, thanks for this reply in particular. :) Since, the OP seems to have chosen an option, I think it's okay to say that I am looking for an OS drive for a Windows 7 setup. It sounds like the Kingston V SNV425 is the best price for a 60-80GB drive right now, huh? The closer you get to $200, the more the Intel G2 80GB SSD looks like the ideal choice.

I read on some sites that OCZ is a better choice for RAID (than the Intel). What's that about? I doubt I'd do a RAID setup, though. I just wanted to get Windows 7 and keep it on a separate drive with my Linux setup remaining on my 320GB WD Blue. I need at least 100GB for a Virtual setup.
Old June 10, 2010, 06:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well it's all about there firmware ocz has 1.5 which supports wiper and itgc and as soon as akg see this he can fill in all the mess details if you really want them. i would wait till the middle of summer to buy and ya the intel drive is slated to become very cheap over the next little while ( well maybe not very cheap but rumor/internet and my resellers/dealers/e-tailers hinting at price around where the 40gb V is or a little higher )